Forum

Notice to all users

We are migrating towards a new forum system located at community.teamspeak.com, as such this forum will become read-only on January 29, 2020

[Not possible] Several issues (left side icons, 1 group/user, self removing)

After trying to search for posts about the problems I'm having, I've decided to create a new thread and tried to make the title as specific as possible.

Me and my friends had a Teamspeak 3 server where we had some restrictions and permissions configured by a super admin who no longer exists and the server was shut, so I decided to create a new server and remake as much of the old one as I can.

1- I'd like to have a Moderator server group in which Moderators may remove their moderator status if they want but not remove Moderator from other Moderators. Is this possible? I believe the other server had this.

2- The other server seemed to limit each user to one server group, meaning that I could promote a Member to Moderator, however, in my new server, when I make someone Moderator, he is both Member and Moderator... is there a way to make a promotion system where each person has only 1 group?

3- If I remember correctly, the other server had server group icons on the left side right next to the nicknames and client icons to the right. In my new server, all icons are to the right and I cant find a way to change that. What can I do?

Thank you and please do tell me if I need to change this thread to another forum section or split it into 3 different threads.

Regards

EDIT: Another big problem, my Moderators cannot change people from Guest to Member, it is greyed out! How can I fix this? They have group modify/add/remove power of 70, Member has a needed modify/add/remove power of 70
    Last edited by Boltzmann; May 25th, 2013 at 08:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Boltzmann View Post
    1- I'd like to have a Moderator server group in which Moderators may remove their moderator status if they want but not remove Moderator from other Moderators. Is this possible? I believe the other server had this.
    No this is not possible.

2- The other server seemed to limit each user to one server group, meaning that I could promote a Member to Moderator, however, in my new server, when I make someone Moderator, he is both Member and Moderator... is there a way to make a promotion system where each person has only 1 group?
    No, this is not possible, you will have to remove the other group yourself or have a bot remove lower groups when a client gets assigned a new group.

3- If I remember correctly, the other server had server group icons on the left side right next to the nicknames and client icons to the right. In my new server, all icons are to the right and I cant find a way to change that. What can I do?
    This is not possible.

EDIT: Another big problem, my Moderators cannot change people from Guest to Member, it is greyed out! How can I fix this? They have group modify/add/remove power of 70, Member has a needed modify/add/remove power of 70
    i_client_needed_permission_modify_power of the Moderator might be higher than what they have in the corresponding power which would prevent them from messing with Moderators.

Lightbulb

After trying to search for posts about the problems I'm having, I've decided to create a new thread and tried to make the title as specific as possible.

Me and my friends had a Teamspeak 3 server where we had some restrictions and permissions configured by a super admin who no longer exists and the server was shut, so I decided to create a new server and remake as much of the old one as I can.

Thank you and please do tell me if I need to change this thread to another forum section or split it into 3 different threads.

Regards

1. Create one main channel in your server and create all other channels branching from the initial channel. Then use channel groups assigned from that first channel to let people have moderator status. Generate a token for them for the default channel group or the next group down from moderator that will assign to them in that channel. That way if they decide to demote themselves they can apply the token and demote themselves, that way you can prevent moderators from removing moderator status from anyone but themselves.

2. Related to point 1, use channel groups. You can only have 1 channel group assigned. Assign all channel groups in the main first channel and they will have the group anywhere in your server.

3. Icons are always to the right, except the coloured icon denoting if the channel is open, locked or at maximum capacity.

So, just because some things are intrinsically not possible it does not mean there aren't ways to get the same effect by using other features to accomplish the goal. Some things are impossible, some are possible if done correctly. Sure it may not be 100% the implementation you wanted but sometimes you need to re-design your implementation to achieve the results you desire. I had to do that with our server when it went from a small clan server to a massive community of other individual groups.

As for your edit comment, check the moderator's client permission modify power, I think it is called. I have had issues with that permission not allowing people to assign/revoke groups if they do not meed the need requirement on the target. You can use the permissions overview to check the current permissions of a person in a channel.

Thanks guys, everything seems to be fixed. I was indeed that permission modify power. I also had a problem where moderators couldn't move players to or from their own channel, because the channel group overrides the server group, I used skip column for this and for deleting a channel, however, I'm not sure if a Member can delete it's own channel now (they can create semi-permanent channels). I'm still slightly confused about the connections/conflicts between group and channel permissions.

Well the further to the right the tab in the permission dialog the more "powerful" it is. Basically permissions assigned on a certain tab (Server groups, client permissions, channel permissions, channel groups, channel client permissions) in the permissions dialog override those that are to the left of the tab the permission is assigned on.

So channel permissions override client permissions and server group permissions.

You can disable the override for channel permissions and channel group permissions by setting the skip flag on either the client permission or server group permission tier.

See permissiondoc.txt inside the doc folder for a more detailed explanation.

Quote Originally Posted by Boltzmann
    You Are Thinking Of Rank Name On The Left... When You Go To Edit Your Tags. There Should Be a Option In The Basic Settings When Editing Tags, That Says, "Show Name (Before/Behind/None) Nickname" Ex: "[Member] MicPawnage" | "MicPawnage [Member]" | "Micpawnage" |

Thread Information