Forum

Speech to Text for the hearing impaired as an Addon

Greetings all.

We play WoTs. We have a diverse and varied member base in our group of friends from around the world. and recently we've run into a communication issue that we are trying to resolve.

one of our friends is deaf. and to help facilitate communications we are attempting to find a way to utilize our Teamspeak to produce speech to text, for in game overlay support.

I am wondering if there is an existing addon i have missed, or perhaps an addon that would allow Dragon Naturally Speaking to intigrate with Teamspeak in some way.

If anyone has any ideas, or if the TS team might be intrested in taking on this programming challenge just fire away with anything that could be useful.

Thanks

You should be able to push teamspeak audio into a TTS program ( using virtual audio cable http://ntonyx.com/vac.htm ), I don't know how well it will work as it will consume a large amount of resources and on top of that when multiple people talk - unintelligible writing.

The answer will probably be no, primarily its too limited use for the amount of resources its going to consume especially if you want it as a server side option.

It does work with the method I described above BUT:

1) You need a REALLY good speech to text program
    2) People need to talk one at a time
    3) Speech to text does not recognize slang (saying things like zerg, wot etc)

To do it create 2 virtual audio cables, use the audio repeater to map Virtual Cable 1 to Virtual Cable 2
    go into teamspeak playback settings and set virtual Audio Cable 1 as your playback device. Go into the speech to text program and set Virtual Cable 2 as your listening device.
    The Speech to text program needs to be able to output to file stream, then you can write a quick program that can take that and put it on the screen (either with a teamspeak plugin, or external application).

Here is some example output using the windows speech to text translation (which sucks)
    And she has lost the lead off the hook and over and then we'll have houses that housing and chorus of that has killed herself
    The enemy and translator for all of the widely held know how does the * in
    Case that could have
    The court that his voters and a

see? Its a difficult problem.
    Last edited by Draygo; June 23rd, 2013 at 12:18 AM.

I'm going to bump this thread. It's 2014 and there has got to be some progress relating to speech to text for TS or similar programs. I would like to see someone undertake this project. Keep in mind, it does not have to be perfect. Let's just see if we can get something working that is practical. Anything at this point would be better than what we have now, which is nothing. I'm going to make a formal request in the request forum.

Also one last thing, hearing impaired is not the correct term. Deaf or Hard of Hearing will do just fine. Could someone change the title to reflect this please? Thanks in advance.

I guess this is the correct forum so I'll just throw this out there: I'd like to help with this process even though I have no coding experience. However, I'm more than happy to help fund this project with my own $$ to start with and work on seeing if we can get some additional Deaf/HoH individuals to pitch in. To start with though, I'm offering $100. I'm very serious about this, we NEED something within TS to make this work.
    Last edited by Pvster; March 15th, 2014 at 11:30 PM. Reason: Additional info.

Why was this rejected without so much as an explanation? Let's quit being tools here and see how we can expand the TS market.

Do you guys realize how large of a gaming population you are leaving out by not exploring this option? Not to mention how much of a leg up it would give you over other voice-over competitors?

I could see this being a difficult feature to set up, especially given the points Draygo brought up, but it would be a pretty awesome feature to have..

I do see it being potentially difficult, but I think the benefits far outweigh the amount of work that would be required. A this point, the focus wouldn't be on the actual speech to text software (software already exists). The issue is getting TS to feed the speech to text software. We should approach that as the first step and that might or might not be a difficult coding project.

Wouldn't it be enough to simply buy a second monitor, set-up VAC (virtual audio cable) and open a STT software on that second screen?

Quote Originally Posted by numma_cway View Post
    Wouldn't it be enough to simply buy a second monitor, set-up VAC (virtual audio cable) and open a STT software on that second screen?
    That's an interesting idea. How does one set up a VAC and does TS permit it?

Urgently need chat to voice like vent has

we have a couple of people in our group who have vocal disabilities and so we really need the same feature vent has where in case you don't have a microphone, those
    can be automatically converted to speech, which is then read to the receipient.

I've looked everywhere and can't seem to find anyway to do this. I'm surprised that such a important feature is only in vent.

Anyone have any idea how to make this happen?
    is there a linux add-on to the server we can employ
    Last edited by dante696; May 17th, 2014 at 07:16 PM. Reason: merged

Helps with TS3 Speech to Text for Deaf/HoH

Hello, first time poster here. I am seeking assistance with TS3 over Windows 7 in order to convert speech to text that I can read in real time. It need not be 100% accurate but reasonably close is all I can ask. Does anyone know if this feature is possible? If so, how? Thanks!!

Compatible with Speech to Text Programs

It seems we have some folks on the TS team or forum moderation team that like to discriminate against Deaf/HoH individuals.

A couple of posts requesting more information about making TS compatible with speech to text programs were largely ignored and after being bumped one too many times, several posts were deleted and the thread locked. http://forum.teamspeak.com/showthrea...ed-as-an-Addon

So, I am putting forth this request again. There is a HIGH need for this option. You guys would be breaking ground if we could build in the capability to connect to a speech to text program. I would recommend Dragon to start with just because it seems to be largely popular. Unless someone knows of another program that is more popular (open to suggestions).

So, can we get someone to look into this? There's been several threads made on this topic already and 1 or 2 suggestions made that didn't work (at least for me). This is a need for the gaming world! Especially for veterans that have come back and lost hearing as a result.

C'mon, don't leave us out please!
    Last edited by dante696; September 26th, 2014 at 07:23 AM. Reason: merged

Quote Originally Posted by Pvster View Post
    It seems we have some folks on the TS team or forum moderation team that like to discriminate against Deaf/HoH individuals.
    No, we just don't want that feature in our client. Funny to read it is discrimination, it's a decision.
    When sending me private messages: Please make sure to include reference link to your forum thread or post.

TeamSpeak FAQ || What should i report, when i open a client thread?

Voice to written form

Hello, due to health reasons i cannot use a headset but only a mic i wanted to know if there ways to have what people are saying on teamspeak in written form? Thank you!

This feature does not exist.
    When sending me private messages: Please make sure to include reference link to your forum thread or post.

TeamSpeak FAQ || What should i report, when i open a client thread?

Thread Information