Forum

Notice to all users

We are migrating towards a new forum system located at community.teamspeak.com, as such this forum will become read-only on January 29, 2020

Solved Suggestions: Feature to prevent abuse of whisper ability.

By default people can go into a server and keyup to the entire server and broadcast noise. I know the power level can be modified after the fact, but even then someone who has the ability to whisper can perform a whisper to the entire server to whom ever is able to receive it. It is very prone to abuse. I had to completely disable the whole feature on my community server due to people broadcasting server-wide.

Could you do something so that you can restrict whispers from being able to be performed globally? There is legitimate reason to whisper a channel or an individual for convenience but you don't want to let people broadcast to the entire server necessarily.

Just an idea, after having done testing in multiple random servers where I was able to do a quick test and hear a whisper I made globally on an alternate ID in separate channels.

One of those random servers happened to be ours, the TTA server. Hint, try not to do it from the IP your own TeamSpeak server is based on, Wes.

This is easily controlled via strict permissions (usually removing the ability for Guests to whisper, or by giving Guests a lower whisper power than other server groups), which stunts like yours cause servers that were otherwise functioning without issue to put into place.

This does not need to be rectified by the TeamSpeak Team. This is an issue on your end, as an admin, and you went about "testing" it in a completely unacceptable manner.

Right now it may be up to the admin to fix this but it appears most people are not aware it needs fixing. It would be nice if there were some method maybe in virtual server settings dialogue to be able to restrict whispers some how to prevent global mic spamming. One server was at a loss to explain why there was sound that seemed to not be coming from their channel and I ended up having to get on the mic and explain to them to make everyone's needed whisper higher than anyone would have. They didn't even know what the red icon next to my name was. If you had to individually explain to every server owner you would be there forever. I just think there must be some way to kind of prevent it by default without removing the feature entirely. When someone did it to me months ago I chalked it up to "Oh I must have slipped up and left it open to people doing server-wide whispers" and in the end I had to completely prevent people from using it because back then I could not figure out a good method to let section owners use it in their section and not have it effect other sections. Out of the 4 or so servers I tested (sorry by the way) only 1 of them was configured from the start to not allow whispers. So unless people become educated about the advanced permissions system and use it currently chances are this problem won't go away. Almost every server will get its share of trolls, but typically they are easy to deal with, you can see who is keyed up. Not everyone knows to check the entire server for someone lit up in red and know that red means that is the person doing it.

Edit: It's been a while since I have messed with it and given that I was able to figure out what prevented me from letting people ban via a channel group maybe I can rig up some method of allowing but restricting whisper usage in a fresh new local server. I will edit/reply if I come up with anything.

Edit 2:
    Well after some testing I have found out that even if you assign the whisper abilities via channel group that they seem to be global and not restricted by the fact they were given by channel group. I made 2 test sections with 2 sub channels and assigned the first person channel admin in one section and they were blank and default in the other section. Person 2 could hear person 1's whisper even though person 1 does not have enough whisper power in that same channel as person 2.

My recommendation to simply fix this whole issue would be to make whisper power take in to fact of the person doing the whispering having whisper in the same channel as the target. Just like a channel admin cannot assign channel groups or grant talk power in channels outside their own channel due to their powers being assigned via a channel group, also please make the whisper system work the same way. That way at least someone can set the system up to allow people to use whispers but only inside sections of channels that they "own" rather than be able to whisper amongst the entire server.

Thanks
    Last edited by Morthawt; June 25th, 2013 at 09:19 AM.

I agree with Nantucket.

There is nothing to fix period.

As in question of kick/ban/complain powers these should be taken care of by the admin, if he is not capable or skilled enough, he shouldn't do that job.
    (complains were pretty famous abuse way of getting people banned by server just with Guest permissions for example)

Quote Originally Posted by Morthawt View Post
    make whisper power take in to fact of the person doing the whispering having whisper in the same channel as the target
    and break the entire feature in the process.
    It is meant to be used to talk to people in other channels and thus if you have enough whisper power you can whisper the target, no matter his channel.

As for the limit to how many clients you can whisper: There already is one. You can only whisper as many targets as there can be clients in the same channel before the channel is being muted.
    That setting is a server setting which is configurable in the server settings (Misc Tab)
    Last edited by Chris; June 26th, 2013 at 09:16 AM.
    When sending PMs please make sure to include a reference link to the thread in question in the body of your message.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    As for the limit to how many clients you can whisper: There already is one. You can only whisper as many targets as there can be clients in the same channel before the channel is being muted.
    That setting is a server setting which is configurable in the server settings (Misc Tab)
    Wow, and where is that documented?

The issue is if you change that to lets say 3. So if someone tries to whisper the entire server it will only whisper 3 targets and not everyone. Now any time there is 3 or more people in any channel anywhere they cannot speak without an admin granting them the ability to talk. That is useless with regards to solving whisper spam while keeping the feature usable by the masses.

Thread Information