Forum

Notice to all users

We are migrating towards a new forum system located at community.teamspeak.com, as such this forum will become read-only on January 29, 2020

Plantronics USB headset losing sound in Arma 3 and TeamSpeak

I'm a newbie in Arma 3, and I only use TeamSpeak there. I'm using Windows 7, and I've got a Plantronics GameCom 780 USB headset which always seemed to work OK with previous games, but I never used it much (it's only 6 months old, and I don't normally use it for anything but Arma 3).

Anyway, for several months, I would occasionally lose all sound in Arma 3. Sometimes, I'd go 2 weeks without it happening. I'd hear a sound like a device connecting or disconnecting, and then I'd lose all sound from the game, needing to close Arma 3 and start it up again to get sound working.

This happened - rarely - even before I started using TeamSpeak. Afterwards, when this happened, I would also lose the ability to speak in TeamSpeak, though I could hear everyone else. (Again, closing TeamSpeak and starting it up again would fix the problem, and it didn't happen very often. Admittedly, I wasn't using TeamSpeak much.)

Well, lately, this has started happening almost constantly - four or five times a night. And last night, I lost sound four times in the first 15-20 minutes of our game. The last two times, I hadn't restarted Arma 3, since we were in the middle of a mission, but only restarted TeamSpeak. (Also, I'd played single-player for an hour or so with no problem, but that was without TeamSpeak running.)

So we stopped using TeamSpeak - going to the internal communication in Arma 3, instead - and I had no problem the rest of the night.

I don't know what's going on, but turning off TeamSpeak lets me play the game. But I did have this problem - occasionally - even before I started using TeamSpeak. And I'd used TeamSpeak previously - off and on, a few weeks ago - without causing a huge increase in this situation. (As far as I know, I haven't made any changes to TeamSpeak since then.)

I've been trying to find a solution to this for months, but I have no idea where to even look. Plantronics has been useless. I posted on their forum, and one other guy seems to have the same problem (same headset, same game, also with TeamSpeak). I posted on the Arma 3 forum, without any luck. I tried a hotfix from Microsoft that was supposed to fix intermittent loss of audio, but that did nothing.

Until recently, it's been annoying, but bearable. But all of a sudden, it's happening constantly - until I turn off TeamSpeak. Any ideas?

No ideas? Me, neither.

I completely uninstalled TeamSpeak 3 - removing everything, including the folders - and reinstalled it again. But still, when I ran TeamSpeak and Arma 3, I lost sound in both almost immediately.

So we closed TeamSpeak and played Arma 3 with the built-in communication system, and I had no problem the rest of the night. (That's two nights in a row, the first before I reinstalled TeamSpeak, the second afterwards.)

One unusual thing I did notice is that the 64-bit version of TeamSpeak defaults to the C:\Program Files folder, rather than to the C:\Program Files (x86) folder where most of my 64-bit programs seem to go. But I don't know if that's significant or not. (I stopped paying much attention to this stuff after DOS.)

I suppose that I can just forget about using TeamSpeak, but many groups use it. And it seems weird that only I'd have this problem, doesn't it?

Bill

To me this sounds more like a bad / corrupt driver or hardware that is about to die. Make sure to uninstall the sound drivers and Headset drivers (if any) and install the latest version after a reboot.

Since this is a USB headset it might also help to try a different USB Port, preferably those directly on the mainboard (ie. back of the PC).

As for installation locations, all 64bit applications are supposed to be installed in Program Files whereas 32bit applications running on a 64 bit system are supposed to end up in Program Files (x86), though many applications don't seem to get it and install in the "wrong" location. It shouldn't really make much of a difference though.
    When sending PMs please make sure to include a reference link to the thread in question in the body of your message.

Thanks, I've tried different USB ports, including those on the back of the computer. No change.

And I've uninstalled and reinstalled the headset software. My sound drivers are up-to-date, though I haven't uninstalled and reinstalled them. (I'm a little worried about screwing things up even worse.)

It could be hardware that's about to die, but everything is less than a year old (and under warranty), so I wish it would just get with the program and DIE, if that's the case.

Note that, even without TeamSpeak, this is still happening when I play Arma 3, though not as often. After turning off TeamSpeak, I played Arma 3 for hours Friday and Saturday evenings, with no problem. But last night, I lost sound twice in Arma 3 (right away, when we first started playing, then nothing the rest of the night).

So this isn't just a TeamSpeak problem, but lately, TeamSpeak has been making it far worse, for some reason.

Thanks for the reply,

Bill

Well TeamSpeak uses the sound device pretty constantly and heavily since that is what it does, so it might be that it shows the symptoms more easily and frequently than just the game itself.
    When sending PMs please make sure to include a reference link to the thread in question in the body of your message.

I solved this problem, I think (after working for a couple of weeks, I've started to have TeamSpeak problems again, but not Arma 3 problems, at least).

One or both of these two things fixed it:

(1) Updating the BIOS on my ASUS P8h77-V motherboard. (This update was supposed to fix problems with unspecified USB devices.)

(2) Plugging the headset into USB 2.0 connectors in the back of the computer, directly off the motherboard (which I'd tried before) and leaving the connector next to it unused.

As I say, this solved my problems, and Arma 3 hasn't given me any other problems at all. However, after a couple of weeks, I've regularly started losing my microphone in TeamSpeak again (sometimes, TeamSpeak crashes completely; sometimes, not).

I don't know if this is part of the same problem or not. Luckily, if TeamSpeak stays up, I can still hear other players on that, while I reply using the built-in Arma 3 communications. That's certainly not ideal, but it's better than what I had happening previously.

Bill

I have the same problem too with arma 2 Dayz mod.
    Headset: Logitec F540
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________

15.08.2013 21:00:07 Windows Audio Session Debug WAS:penDevice-enter
    15.08.2013 21:00:07 Windows Audio Session Debug WAS Buffer size: 882
    15.08.2013 21:00:07 Windows Audio Session Debug WAS:penDevice-leave
    15.08.2013 21:00:07 Windows Audio Session Debug WAS::startDevice-enter
    15.08.2013 21:00:07 Windows Audio Session Debug WAS::startDevice-leave
    15.08.2013 21:00:07 Windows Audio Session Debug WAS::associateAECDevice-enter
    15.08.2013 21:00:07 Windows Audio Session Debug WAS::associateAECDevice-leave
    15.08.2013 21:00:07 SoundDevManager Info Default device changed
    15.08.2013 21:00:09 Decode Error Stale Decoder detected, terminating it. Was ever active = 1
    15.08.2013 21:00:09 Decode Error Stale Decoder detected, terminating it. Was ever active = 1
    15.08.2013 21:00:09 SoundDevManager Info Device removed
    15.08.2013 21:00:09 Windows Audio Session Debug WAS::stopDevice-enter
    15.08.2013 21:00:09 Windows Audio Session Debug WAS::stopDevice-leave
    15.08.2013 21:00:09 Windows Audio Session Debug WAS::closeDevice-enter
    15.08.2013 21:00:09 Windows Audio Session Devel DeviceDeleteList::queueDeviceDelete - enter
    15.08.2013 21:00:09 Windows Audio Session Devel DeviceDeleteList::queueDeviceDelete - leave
    15.08.2013 21:00:09 Windows Audio Session Devel DeviceDeleteList::clearQueue - enter
    15.08.2013 21:00:09 Windows Audio Session Debug WAS::closeDevice-leave
    15.08.2013 21:00:09 Windows Audio Session Devel DeviceDeleteList::waitForDeletes - enter
    15.08.2013 21:00:09 Windows Audio Session Devel Waiting for device to close
    15.08.2013 21:00:09 Windows Audio Session Devel DeviceDeleteList::clearQueue - leave
    15.08.2013 21:00:09 Windows Audio Session Devel DeviceDeleteList::waitForDeletes - leave
    15.08.2013 21:00:09 SoundDevManager Info Default device changed
    __________________________________________________ ________________________________________

I read a theard : [I've recently started using pulseaudio for Teamspeak 3 to solve said issues.

The issue I had was similar, ex: Doom3, Quake4 UT2K4 while teamspeak is running, I would either get audio from TS or the game never both. Turned out it was an ALSA issue not being able to handle resources for both programs. When I switched TS over to pulse, it started working fine.]

But i can't install "Pulseaudio" for Windows. (It's possible)

Maybe someone can help us both

Thread Information