Forum

Notice to all users

We are migrating towards a new forum system located at community.teamspeak.com, as such this forum will become read-only on January 29, 2020

Server Owner Only Channel?

Hello all,

Recently, the owner of our TeamSpeak server has approached me with the intent to get a channel that only he can join, and that no one else can join (Unless he drags them in there).

However, this is problematic because he doesn't have any higher permissions than the current Server Administrators. The way this is set up, is we've got Server Administrators that can do pretty much anything required in the teamspeak, moderators that can do various kicks and bans, super users that can join password protected channels, and guests. I'm trying to make it so that there is a channel that only the Server Owner can join or modify, and prevent the Server Administrators from modifying their own server groups (however unlikely) so that they can join the Server Owners channel on a whim.

So far I've managed to get the Server Owners group modify permissions up to 100 from the basic 75 (that all server admins have) through Server Query, but I cannot seem to find the command for giving the Server Owner channel modify powers past 75. I've looked through all the relevant documentation I could find and I haven't quite found the answer, any suggestions?

Your question is answered in this thread: http://forum.teamspeak.com/showthrea...cific-channel) which is stickied at the top of the section and you should have looked at it first if you didnt. But I dont think the explanation in that thread is very good, so I'll add my own.

There is a permission, which is i_channel_join_power in the permission system which by default for admins is set to 75. Assuming the permission is still set to 75 for admins, you could change his server group permissions (if he has his own group) or client permissions (if he doesnt) so that this is set to 100.

Then, you create a channel for him, and then go into the channel permissions for that channel and set i_channel_needed_join_power to 100. If you do this right, that will give you a channel that only people with i_channel_join_power set to 100+ can join. I'm pretty sure there are no other permissions which will allow somebody to get into the channel, but I might be wrong. However, this is the only solution I can think of.
    Last edited by Razgriz 1; July 7th, 2013 at 08:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Razgriz 1 View Post
    Your question is answered in this thread: http://forum.teamspeak.com/showthrea...cific-channel) which is stickied at the top of the section and you should have looked at it first if you didnt. But I dont think the explanation in that thread is very good, so I'll add my own.

There is a permission, which is i_channel_join_power in the permission system which by default for admins is set to 75. Assuming the permission is still set to 75 for admins, you could change his server group permissions (if he has his own group) or client permissions (if he doesnt) so that this is set to 100.

Then, you create a channel for him, and then go into the channel permissions for that channel and set i_channel_needed_join_power to 100. If you do this right, that will give you a channel that only people with i_channel_join_power set to 100+ can join. I'm pretty sure there are no other permissions which will allow somebody to get into the channel, but I might be wrong. However, this is the only solution I can think of.

Yes, I had read that the first time I located this board, and initially tried the i_channel_needed_join_power increase. The problem is that any Sever Admin can either edit that channel and lower the join power, or they can go in to the server groups and increase their join power to be well above the channels requirement. It's not that we don't trust the admins, it's just that they'll try to join it and go "Oh, that isn't right" and they'll change it down to something they use. I'm trying to set up a Server Group that can modify channels above the default 75, so they can set the permissions required to edit the channel up to 100 so that they, and only they, can edit the channel. It's just we can't do that right now as no one has the elevated permissions to do so, and I can't seem to find the correct Server Query command for it.

I typically read forums and all information I can find before posting to the forums, as the things you can glean from google normally help. But after a few days of googling it, I can't seem to find the proper command, as no one seems to have tried to do this but me, so I came in to the forums seeking advice.

If you were to make a channel titled "Server owner only" or something along those lines, would the server admins still attempt to gain access?

Anyway, now I see your problem. Unfortunately I have no idea how to get around that, though I've been trying to find a way. I'm not familiar with serverquery however, I never use it.

Quote Originally Posted by Razgriz 1 View Post
    If you were to make a channel titled "Server owner only" or something along those lines, would the server admins still attempt to gain access?

Anyway, now I see your problem. Unfortunately I have no idea how to get around that, though I've been trying to find a way. I'm not familiar with serverquery however, I never use it.

Unfortunately, they'd still try and join. Not with bad intentions, but there need to be some truly hush hush meetings and the way our permissions are set up there are 10-20 people that could barge in at any time.

Well, first of all, i recommend not to lower the server admin powers to fit one's needs... If some problem arises later, you may not have the permissions to fix those problems... It's better to downgrade the server admins to a new server group with many powers that the server admins have, but not all.

However, if you want to truly enforce this setup you are asking then, you must need to do several things:

.1 - Server admins must not have the power modify it's own permissions (this is very risky)
    .2 - Sever admins must have the "skip channel group permissions" ticked OFF!
    .3 - The Owner's channel, must have a needed join power of 80.
    .4 - The owner must have the Channel Admin channel group on that channel with a join power of 80!
    .5 - The server admin Servergroup must not have a channel join power higher than 79.

This would fix your problem, but i must say again i don't recommend at all!!!

Quote Originally Posted by hnd11 View Post
    Well, first of all, i recommend not to lower the server admin powers to fit one's needs... If some problem arises later, you may not have the permissions to fix those problems... It's better to downgrade the server admins to a new server group with many powers that the server admins have, but not all.

However, if you want to truly enforce this setup you are asking then, you must need to do several things:

.1 - Server admins must not have the power modify it's own permissions (this is very risky)
    .2 - Sever admins must have the "skip channel group permissions" ticked OFF!
    .3 - The Owner's channel, must have a needed join power of 80.
    .4 - The owner must have the Channel Admin channel group on that channel with a join power of 80!
    .5 - The server admin Servergroup must not have a channel join power higher than 79.

This would fix your problem, but i must say again i don't recommend at all!!!
    Well I'd just like to make a server group that is slightly more powerful than the server admins, just for the sole purpose for making a channel that can only be joined by that group, and making it so that they can only edit their permissions to a certain level.

They're set to 75, and using the permissions tab in teamspeak, that's the highest they can go. No one but me and the server owner have a Server Query account, so that's the only way we can raise permissions above 75. The problem here is that I'm not sure what to do to make it uneditable, because I don't know the command to change the Channel Permission Modify Power to higher than 75.

I spent a lot of time converting my clan teamspeak into a massive 400 slot community server. I also have high security channels that only certain people can get into. Even I, as the owner, or my Global Admins cannot enter those secure channels. If you want to have a chat about it send me a message and I will PM you the details to come to our server and I can show you around and answer any questions you have about your permissions vs mine.

Thread Information