Forum

Notice to all users

We are migrating towards a new forum system located at community.teamspeak.com, as such this forum will become read-only on January 29, 2020

Allowing users to create a sub-channel, but not a main channel.

Hey!

First off, I'd just like to say that I'm new to TS as a whole. I've used it a few times on other servers, and have been assigned to make one for a game server that I help run. Because of this, the problem I'm having probably has a really simple answer.

So, what I want to do is make it possible so that users can create their own sub-channels in main channels (that are created by me), for their own uses. I have no idea how to do this, so any help would be great.

Thanks!

Hello,

Depending on how you wanna restrict this permissions you can do it with Server Groups (users can create sub-channels in all of the server's "main channels") or Channel Groups (you can choose in which "main channel" users can create sub-channels):

1. Copy the Guest Group (in Server Groups or Channel Groups - you decission)
    2. activate/check b_channel_create_child (to make users able to create sub-channels at all)
    3. you need i_channel_min_depth to restrict in which part of the channel-tree users can create a channel, Example:

Your Server (depth = 0)
    - Main Channel 1 (depth = 1)
    -- Sub Channel 1 (depth = 2)
    --- Sub-sub Channel (depth = 3)
    -- Sub Channel 2 (depth = 2)
    - Main Channel 2 (depth = 1)
    -- Sub Channel 1 (depth = 2)
    - Main Channel 3 (depth = 1)

As the explanation above shows you need to set i_channel_min_depth to 1 (channel must be depth = 1 to create a sub-channel).
    4. If you want the channel the users created to be permanent (won't vanish when no user is inside) add b_channel_create_permanent. The rest of the permissions required to create a channel should be default.
    5. Assign the created group to users.

lg
    Istalantar

Note you have to enter the main channel to get the permissions to create the sub channel.
    If you do it like discribed in #2 the users have to be assigned to the channelgroup in the channel you want them to create a sub channel. I think there's an better way with channel permissions, but it's will definately not that easy.
    Remove the permission "b_channel_create_child" from the group and set it on their channel.

Istalantar described perfectly how the max depth works and how you have to use it. Feel free to ask if you have more questions.

Greetings
    Marc

On mine I set Guest and Normal server groups, can be a new server group that you add just to those you want to create sub channels, b_channel_create_child checked, i_channel_min_depth = 1 and i_channel_max_depth = 0. Then, in the channel(s), or spacer(s), I want want them to be able to create custom sub channels I set i_channel_max_depth = 1. This setup allows them to create the sub channel from anyway on the server, but if they attempt to create it outside the channel/spacer you want them to they get a failed on i_channel_max_depth error. Also, with this setup they can't create sub channels in sub channels.

Note: if using a spacer as the root channel remember to set the Family Max Users to Unlimited in the Advanced tab.

Thanks a lot for your help everyone, I'll do some testing and make sure that it all works!

Okay, so I've done a bit of testing, and it mostly seems to be working!

Users can't create main channels whatsoever, which is great, but they can't seem to be able to create sub-channels anywhere. I've allowed it in both the server, and channel groups, so I don't really get what's wrong. (I've also removed the min and max depth for testing purposes)

Any more help would be much appreciated!

EDIT: Just figured out that the reason sub-channels couldn't be created was because I hadn't enabled them to use a voice codec, so they couldn't create a channel. Soooo, because of this, it turns out users can still create main channels.. Any help? :/
    Last edited by powwowki; October 10th, 2013 at 09:31 PM.

Okay, I think I've got it sorted now. I just need to be able to make it so that certain channels can't have sub-channels created in them by normal users. Any help, again?

I guess you didn't test what I suggested, or maybe you did while you had the errors for the other permission problem aside from what was being discussed. If you set the i_channel_min_depth to 1 they can't create main channels. Creating main channels requires a i_channel_min_depth of 0.

Quote Originally Posted by Screech View Post
    I guess you didn't test what I suggested, or maybe you did while you had the errors for the other permission problem aside from what was being discussed. If you set the i_channel_min_depth to 1 they can't create main channels. Creating main channels requires a i_channel_min_depth of 0.
    Sorry forgot to say, I did do what you said, I just did it wrong.. Sorry, thanks for the help!

Question Allow Guests to create Sub-Channels in Specific Channel.

This is my current server.
    Name:  aeonsptlayout.png
Views: 5260
Size:  20.4 KB

I want Guests to be able to create a sub-channel in the channel "Vários" with i_channel_max_depth 1.

I made the b_channel_create_child and b_channel_create_temporary enabled. and max depth to 1.

They can't create anything.

Thread Information