Forum

Notice to all users

We are migrating towards a new forum system located at community.teamspeak.com, as such this forum will become read-only on January 29, 2020

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Seperate Channel and Servergroups

Hello Community,

I need help

Situation:
    Servergroups: Manager, Tag
    Channelgroup: CA, CM

I want that the manager can assign every user the group "tag". I want that the ca can set the group cm. But I dont want that the manager can set ca and cm. I dont want that a ca is able to set tag.

I don't know hat I have to do.
    Why? The manager is only allwoed to set tags. a channeladmin should be able to set channel mods but not tags. and a manager should NOT be allowed to set ANY channelgroup.

Hello EnderShadow,

i think this works, but i don't tried it.

Manager: 60 needed 75 "i_client_permission_modify_power" set to less than "50"
    Tag: 40 needed 60 "i_client_needed_permission_modify_power" set to less than "50"
    CA: 50 needed 75 "i_client_permission_modify_power" set to "50"
    CM: 30 needed 50 "i_client_needed_permission_modify_power" set to "50"

It's not that easy but maybe it helps you.

Feel free to ask if there are more questions.

Marc

@ Raven: Yes, I think also this should work, but I needed some time to understand what you mean, because you mention 3 values but only one permission name, a teamspeak beginner would probably understand nothing.

Oh... I don't understand.

There is permissions modify power and client pmerisions modify power. Can you rewrite like: GROUP PERMISSIONS VALUE GRANT?
    Last edited by EnderShadow; October 17th, 2013 at 03:37 PM.

Agree istalantar. Even me did not understand this post.

@Riven: Didnt try, but dont think it will work. "Higher power" will be able to edit/grant "lower power", no whether if permission power or i. e. join_power.

@OP: Dont know what the "higher ranks" here will say, but AFAMK this is not possible. You may define who can grant what servergroups and what channelgroups but not like you want. Also keep in mind, that a "Manager" will be CA by default on creating a channel, so he could crant CA and CM too.

I try to explain it.

I want, that Managers can add or remove tag groups which don't have any permisssion (only icons ).
    BUT: I don't want, that Managers can give anyone Channel Admin or Channel Mod. (If he create an own channel, he can do this. But noct in channels which he don't own!)

I want, that the Channel Admin can set Channel Mod in HIS channel.
    BUT: I is not allowed to set a tag.

This is my problem. I need a solution for this.

Thank you Instalantar, you're right, it's not obvious what i meant in #2.

The 1. value in Bold is the value of the permission "i_client_group_member_add_power".
    The 2. value in Bold is the value of the permission "i_client_needed_group_member_add_power".
    The 3. value in Bold is the value of the permission "i_client_permission_modify_power".

@ EnderShadow
    Make sure you don't modify the value of the permission "i_group_modify_power" and "i_group_modify_power".
    This right is to actually edit specified permissions in the system.

@ Alcazar
    @Riven: Didnt try, but dont think it will work. "Higher power" will be able to edit/grant "lower power", no whether if permission power or i. e. join_power.
    What do you mean with this sentence? Why should a client with "i_client_group_member_add_power" set to "60" be able to add someone to a group with the permission "i_client_group_member_add_power" set to "50" and "i_client_needed_group_member_add_power" set to "75". As long as the value from the permission "i_client_group_member_add_power" at the group from person A is lower than the value from the permission "i_client_needed_group_member_add_power" at the group from person B, person A won't be able to add a person to the servergroup of person B.

To grant permissions to a client you need a maximum of 2 matching values in the advanced permission system.
    1. The permission to add / remove clients to / from a servergroup. ["i_client_group_member_add/remove_power" and "i_client_needed_group_member_add/remove_power"]
    2. The permission to actually edit / modify the permissions of a client. ["i_client_permission_modify_power" and "i_client_needed_permission_modify_power"]
    Both permissions have to match with the permission of the targeted servergroup to add / remove someone to / from a servergroup.

I really don't understand what you mean with
    "Higher power" will be able to edit/grant "lower power"
    Generally it's right but in this case you need to work with more than one permission.
    I would appreciate a more detailed explanation

I am available at any time for further questions.

Marc
    Last edited by Riven; November 11th, 2013 at 10:55 AM.

Yes, that is a much better explanation.
    Theoretically this should work because one time the i_client_modify_power blocks to assign a group and the other time it's simply not enough group_member_add_power.
    But theory is one thing and practice the other and I was curious if this really works, so I set up all the groups and permissions as you explained and it happens that i_client_needed_permission_modify_power is completely ignored when I try to set a group.

I have the Manager with:
    - "i_group_member_add_power" of 50
    - "i_group_needed_member_add_power" of 75
    - "i_client_permission_modify_power" of 40

CM has:
    "i_group_needed_member_add_power" of 50
    "i_client_needed_permission_modify_power" of 50

Additionally i have set "i_client_needed_permission_modify_power" of 50 to the Server Guest Group, because my first test didn't work and I thought this might help but it didn't.

Well, Manager should not be able to assign the Channel Group 'CM' to anyone, because he doesn't have enough permission_modify_power, but as I mentioned before, this is completely ignored. (And i made sure several times in the Permission Overview, if there is the correct permission working)

Result: Theory is okay in my eyes, but I don't know what in practice is happening.

lg Istalantar

Exactly, thank you for your answer!

In Theory this could work but it's very hard to setup a server like this.
    I think it is almost impossible for non-advanced user to make these settings.

Marc

GREAT! It works!

But I have another question: If you navigate to Permissions->Channel Groups. There is a little button "Show CLints in this Channel Group". I want that channal admins can use this tool to add channel groups to users in CHANNEL THEY OWN. Why? There are "spacer" channel which give channel groups to users so they have Channel mod in all sub channels.

How does it work?

German part deleted.
    Last edited by Matthias B; October 21st, 2013 at 11:44 PM.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by EnderShadow View Post
    GREAT! It works!
    Seriously? How? What did you do?
    I really try to understand this and from what I set up and how the permission system is explained this should work but it doesn't.

This is from the TeamSpeak 3 Permission Guide:
    ... Additionally for either removing
    or adding a client from or into a group your
    i_client_permission_modify_power must be greater or
    equal to the clients i_client_needed_permission_modify
    power.
    This client_permission_modify power is the essential part for a solution here.

This is how I set up my permissions:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled.jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	456.2 KB 
ID:	9394

So, by default every Guest has i_client_needed_permission_modify_power of 75, and only Server Admin has such a high power (not shown in pic).

So, neither CA nor CM can assign Manager or Tag to anyone, this part works fine since there is no i_client_permission_modify_power involved.

The thing is now, if a client is guest in Server Group and in Channel Group the 'needed permission modify power' is 75 > A Manager (permission modify power of 55) now tries to assign CM (needed permission modify power of 60) to this Client ..... and he can. WHY? Is there a bug with this permission modify power? It doesn't work like it is described.

Please, please, can someone explain that to me? I am at my wits end.
    (PM in German or explanation on a Server are welcome)

lg Istalantar

Doenst' work well. Any other ideas???!

According to the answer from dante696 in your bug report thread:

As far i can see:

The permission i_client_permission_modify_power is not checked against i_client_needed_permission_modify_power, when a channel group was assigned, but it works for server groups.

Right?

Thats right and we also see that as a bug or missing check in the server.
    We have a ticket for that in our system, but it has no high priority.
    I tried to set the permissions as described by Riven the other way round (i just took other values):

Manager:
    - add/remove power of 60
    - needed add/remove power of 75
    - client permission modify power of 60 (Skip is checked, for when you are CA and Manager at the same time)
    - needed client permission modify power of 60

Tag:
    - needed add/remove power of 60
    - needed client permission modify power of 60

CA:
    - add/remove power of 65
    - needed add/remove power of 75

CM:
    - add/remove power of 40
    - needed add/remove power of 65

Looks like it worked, but I tested it very shortly.

Hierarchy Question

I'm trying to find a way to create a hierarchy within the permissions system. I want to find a way to control who has permission to assign various server groups to any given client. I have found an integer value (group member add power and group member remove power). This allows me to assign the ability to modify permission in a completely vertical way, but consider the following scenario:

Group A controls Group B and Group C. Group B controls Group D. Group C controls Group E. B and C are on the same level. D and E are on the same level. However, I do not want Group B to control Group E or Group C to control Group D. Using the vertical parameter I described above, it would allow Group B to control Groups D and E, not just group D. The same would be true for Group C. I have attached a hierarchy diagram to assist in visualizing what I want to do.

I should clarify my above statements...By saying "Group B controls Group D", I mean that Group B has the ability to add/remove members from Group D. Group B should not be able to add/remove members from Group E, even though D and E are on the same level of the hierarchy.

Of course the actual system will be more complicated, but I wanted to keep it simple for here. Is there a way in the permissions system to do what I wanted above?

Thanks,

Jonathan
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by dante696; July 23rd, 2014 at 01:37 PM. Reason: merged

Here is a discussion about this problem, it is basically saying that you need a combination of Group Member Add/Remove Power and Client Permission Modify Power, one permission enables you to manage one group and the other restricts to manage the other, but best read for yourself, and if any question is on your mind go ahead and ask.

Note: If the "bug" still exists this will only work on server groups not on channel groups.

Thread Information