Forum

Notice to all users

We are migrating towards a new forum system located at community.teamspeak.com, as such this forum will become read-only on January 29, 2020

Unique ID of member changes automatically

Hi everyone.

Just as the title suggests: The unique ID of one of our members suddenly changed. This already happened multiple times. During the last 2 weeks, it occured thrice. The user didn't change a thing, he only has one identity, he uses TS only on one machine and he did not reinstall the program. Neither his system nor his internet settings have changed, too.

Yesterday, he logged in like always, everything was dandy.
    Today, he logged in like always, but he had a new unique ID and thus no rights, because this ID was not part of the server group. The only thing he had left was his Nickname, even his avatar vanished.

How can this happen, and what can the member do to prevent this?

Best regards,

Medium
    Last edited by MakenMedium; October 17th, 2013 at 07:38 PM. Reason: Forgot something

This has to be a Server issue, the user probably can't do anything about it. Or maybe someone who has rights deletes the uid of this user from the database.

The public unique ID never does change as long the user, does not change his identity.
    The same identity will always have the same public UID on every server and it does not matter how often delete that user out of servers database.

The user does change or create new identitys, whe nhe connects to your server. This is what happens here.
    Maybe he trolls you.
    When sending me private messages: Please make sure to include reference link to your forum thread or post.

TeamSpeak FAQ || What should i report, when i open a client thread?

Quote Originally Posted by Istalantar View Post
    This has to be a Server issue, the user probably can't do anything about it.
    That sounds interesting, but he's the only user affected. Wouldn't this affect more users? Although, he's the only one using some special characters in his nick, maybe this corrupts his whole data set somehow? Gotta give it a try.

Quote Originally Posted by dante696 View Post
    The public unique ID never does change as long the user, does not change his identity.
    Like I said, he did not change his identity. However, the only identity he's got is the "Standard" one, using a nickname.

Quote Originally Posted by dante696 View Post
    The user does change or create new identitys, whe nhe connects to your server. This is what happens here.
    Maybe he trolls you.
    No, the troll is weak with him. That aside, he's a friend of mine, also he's unable to do anything in our TS without his affiliation to the servergroup. He doesn't care about it, either, for it doesn't happen too often. I am the one worried about it. Right now, he's the only case I know of, but I'd rather see myself able to offer some advice if it ever happens to other users, too.

Yours sincerely,

Medium

Quote Originally Posted by MakenMedium View Post
    Like I said, he did not change his identity. However, the only identity he's got is the "Standard" one, using a nickname.
    Let's verify it.

Permissions --> List of clients --> Select "Search by Nickname", indicate his nickname and click on the ">" button

how many "Unique Identifier" different has he? (How many rows are shown?)

Quote Originally Posted by PotaBlava View Post
    Let's verify it.

Permissions --> List of clients --> Select "Search by Nickname", indicate his nickname and click on the ">" button

how many "Unique Identifier" different has he? (How many rows are shown?)
    Currently three, and that's the problem. Each time I had to add this new UID to the server group, so that he can use our TS again.
    Same nick, same IP, different UID.

Most probably it might be a client issue with writing the setting to disk. It seems his teamspeak client isn't able to save his settings and identities and so with every client restart he generates a new identity.

Did he change anything to the filesystem permissions? Or may be he should try a clean re-install of the client.

I'll tell him to reinstall it. The strange thing is the interval. He's online almost every day, but it doesn't occur with every start.

As for the filesystem... he's one of your average users who doesn't know how to work the computer beyond starting it. He couldn't change permissions even if his life is on stake. Then again, he wouldn't know how to check for viruses and the kind, either.

Yours sincerely,

Medium

Quote Originally Posted by MakenMedium View Post
    As for the filesystem... he's one of your average users who doesn't know how to work the computer beyond starting it. He couldn't change permissions even if his life is on stake.
    Ah, don't say that... my old dad is also a computer noob he sometimes messes up his system the way that you wonder and ask yourself how did he do that. If asked he of course states: "I didn't do anything, son! It happend by itself..."

If you install the Teamspeak client, you have at one point the option to let the ts3 client save the user settings in the user profile or globally with the ts3 executable. If you choose to save the settings with the ts3 executable on Windows Vista/7/8, you might get the behaviour that is mentioned in the thread: Windows gives no direct write access but only a virtual write access for XP compatibility reasons. Perhaps this leads to a new identity created every time. Ask the user what options he chose during installation. He should choose to save the settings to the user profile, not globally.

Thread Information