Forum

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

[Release] Volume Control (Windows 7+ only) remake

Hi,

myTeamspeak: https://www.myteamspeak.com/addons/1...c-179dd8839f86
    current Version: 1.9

Description:
    This plugin is a remake of the original VolumeControl by Teamspeak, which only gets API updates and is no longer under development. I will refer to it as 'the original plugin'.

It reduces the volume of other applications when someone (including yourself) in your channel is speaking.

This plugin does only work with Windows 7 or newer due to the used WinAPI calls!

Why a remake and whats different?

The common problems with the original plugin were crashes and the permanent lowering of volume for some applications, especially games with a launcher like League of Legends.

Obviously I can't guarantee a non-crash experience through perfect bug free code, but every feedback is appreciated

To address the permament lowering of volume this plugin works a little bit different than you are perhaps used to from the original plugin.

Original plugin:

• saving the volume of an application, which is set in the Windows Sound Mixer per application
    • someone speaks: using the "suppression rate" as a factor
    • everybody stops speaking: going back to previously saved volume

This plugin:

• someone speaks: using the "suppression rate" as the volume
    • everybody stops speaking: going back to the same value as 'master volume'

This is important! If you are using the Windows Sound Mixer to control the volume on a "per application" basis this will obviously screw you, because it will reset everything to the 'master volume' and you should consider not using this plugin!

If the plugin fails to load, please ensure that you have the Microsoft Visual C++ 2013 runtime libraries:
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-US/downl....aspx?id=40784

For version 1.6 and lower:
    win32: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downl...s.aspx?id=8328
    win64: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downl....aspx?id=13523

Changelog:
    1.0 API19: Release
    1.1 API19: internal version with bug fixes which did not really fix what I wanted
    1.2 API19:
    fixed: plugin stops working after changing the default audio output device
    1.3 API19:
    implemented suggestion: Set your own master volume for the application to get set back to?
    fixed: getting actual path to the config file by using API call getConfigPath()
    tweaks: reduce number of WinAPI calls
    1.4 API20:
    updated API version
    fixed "Error on extract" which occured since TS3 update
    1.5 API20:
    added option for volume suppression on speaking yourself (you can disable it now)
    added option to change the audio device
    1.6 API20:
    added an editable blacklist to exclude applications from getting suppressed
    1.7 API20 (make sure to get the VS2013 redistributables for this and every future release):
    added a whitelist as an alternative to the editable blacklist -> if you want, check the box and you can let the plugin only suppress the applications you want
    added the functionality to select multiple audio devices and not just one
    1.8 API20:
    added a delay option
    1.9 API21:
    bumped API version, unfortunately I lost my project files and had to use an old backup from 1.7, so the delay option is gone

Downloads: (I can't sort the attachments, so perhaps it's not in the right order )
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Goreki; August 10th, 2019 at 07:41 PM.

Interesting, I already contemplated connecting CrossTalk to the Remote-Control-App-Volumes windows service I've been working on (for other reasons).
    You sure the flaw lies within the saved value? I haven't seen any source code, but my guess was it reverses the suppresion rate for going up and gets screwed by the rounding involved casting the result of the suppression to int. I'm not entirely sure why it'd wander with a properly saved value outside of improper shutdowns ofc.
    Last edited by Philosound; November 7th, 2013 at 07:41 PM.

I'm not entirely sure about it aswell, but here are some thoughts:

The thing is, that closing an application does not remove the audio session directly but instead sets it to 'inactive'. And after a while it will be removed completely. I dont know how long it takes or what triggers this. This allows to set the volume of the session _after_ an application has been closed.

So it could happen that the volume of this inactive session doesnt get resetted, because you are in a channel with 10 people and all the time atleast someone is talking. I feel like the problem with "permanent low volume" happens much more often if you are with multiple people in a channel.

Another source of the problem could be the launcher implementation of League of Legends (this is the game, where my friends and I are getting frustrated most with the volume bug). If the volume is supressed while the launcher(at low volume) starts the game, it applies its own volume to the child-application (the game client). The TS plugin reacts to the "session created"-event and suppresses the volume of the game client again. So you have double suppression when someone talks and a permanent suppression when nobody talks. But this is also just a shot in the dark.

In addition to that, the "permanent low volume" doesn't solve itself, because of the suppression rate-factor implementation. So if you encounter the problem the only thing you get is the double suppression which I described above.

I know my implementation could be rated as suboptimal or "avoiding the problem", but atleast it doesn't make it worse when volume gets lowered permanent (which could still occur if it happens like in my first idea). Instead it fixes itself because the "reset"-volume is always 100%.

Note sure, since I never tried your plugin, but from what you write it seems like everyone who doesn't have their Windows Master Volume at 100% would be screwed as well, because from what I noticed, if you have the Windows Master Volume at say 50% all Applications will be 50%, so if you raise one application to above the master volume, the master volume is increased as well. While that doesn't change the other apps volumes, it will increase the volume for new apps that didn't previously have a setting in the Mixer.

if you change your master volume to 50% the application volume actually stays at 100% (unless you change it). It's the slider-value that gets scaled by the master volume. And if you raise the application-volume-slider above the master-volume-slider the master volume gets adjusted because the application volume can't be higher than 100%

Good point, but it's actually 100% of master volume so it won't raise the volume above the master volume.
    I will edit the post to make that clear, thanks!

edit: ah you replied 1minute before my answer. You are very right and it works just fine without being intended in the first place
    Last edited by Goreki; November 8th, 2013 at 10:15 AM.

Would you mind making this plugin open source? We already had the problem with stopped support for this type of addon

It's not planned to make it open source right now, but if I decide to not work any longer on updates/fixes I will publish the code for sure.

I will upload a new version this evening or tomorrow with those changes:
    - possible fix for some crashes right at the start
    - fixed: plugin stops working after changing the default audio output device

Great someone started working on such a plugin again!
    Since the teamspeak addon sites are down a while now, could you provide an alternative download link, please?

addons.teamspeak.com is currently unavailable.

Can someone upload it?

Quote Originally Posted by fspower View Post
    Can someone upload it?
    Yes please

Quote Originally Posted by Goreki View Post
    - possible fix for some crashes right at the start
    - fixed: plugin stops working after changing the default audio output device
    (link removed, see opening post)

sorry guys that you had to wait so long.

so about the first point...I kind of know when a crash happens but I can't reproduce it at my own will. especially not while using the debugger...

My current theory about this bug is that the following happens:
    For example you have your browser playing sounds, because you use youtube.
    Then you do something else for a period of time (like 30min+) and the browser application gets "inactive".
    You start Teamspeak with the plugin.
    You start another youtube video, so playing sound with the inactive process and Teamspeak crashes immediately.

The thing is: I already catch the events (process gets active again) to deal with this and it works just fine, but sometimes...it doesn't

So if you encounter crashes it would be nice if you could think of "what did I do the last 30seconds?" and perhaps you are able to actually reproduce the problem and tell me how to do it. There has to be one tiny thing, which I seem to be overseeing
    Last edited by Goreki; March 14th, 2014 at 04:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Goreki View Post
    http://www14.zippyshare.com/v/97661510/file.html

sorry guys that you had to wait so long.

so about the first point...I kind of know when a crash happens but I can't reproduce it at my own will. especially not while using the debugger...

My current theory about this bug is that the following happens:
    For example you have your browser playing sounds, because you use youtube.
    Then you do something else for a period of time (like 30min+) and the browser application gets "inactive".
    You start Teamspeak with the plugin.
    You start another youtube video, so playing sound with the inactive process and Teamspeak crashes immediately.

The thing is: I already catch the events (process gets active again) to deal with this and it works just fine, but sometimes...it doesn't

So if you encounter crashes it would be nice if you could think of "what did I do the last 30seconds?" and perhaps you are able to actually reproduce the problem and tell me how to do it. There has to be one tiny thing, which I seem to be overseeing
    Ok this happened to me once i was afk for 30 minutes or more didnt keep count. But nobody on my channel was talking and my music was paused so when i hit play on my music its perfectly fine someone talks then teamspeak crashes.

only happened once so yeah.

Suggestion* Set your own master volume for the application to get set back to? or something like that
    Last edited by HeroxZ; January 5th, 2014 at 11:21 AM. Reason: Adding suggestion

thank you. looking forward to give it a try it later on

Thread Information