Forum

On the topic of SSL

So, there's sth. on the horizon that makes the lack of SSL support more of a problem for me than just not being able to load some newly https-enforced image.

While I'm aware and agree upon the policy of not delivering what isn't needed by the client itself, in the case of OpenSSL, there apparently actually are three states of relationship of QtNetwork to it possible [Reference (same for 4.x)].

1) linked: This'd mean OpenSSL would need to be delivered by the client - meh, double meh with that licensing drama probably that hinders it being delivered with Qt in the first place
    2) -no-openssl: Don't use OpenSSL no matter what - the status quo from my testing
    3) the default: Load it at runtime if needed and found

I do wonder if option 3) would be compromiseable upon, since it would both avoid shipping OpenSSL with the client as well as enable us to add support basically by mentioning "If you need that feature, install the OpenSSL light binaries" and test for ssl support in the plugin on runtime. I think delivering the dlls with the plugin would be hindered by the x86/64 issue (openssl dll names may not be changed to the way of our file name convention afaict).

The only other options for that I'd currently see is if we'd start replacing Qt dlls, which wouldn't be possible using .ts3_plugin installers as well as having the x86/64 issue, and the feeling it to be a rather bad thing to do xD, or I'd have to drop out of cross-plattform alltogether for that functionality and go for sth. like WinHttp, wouldn't like that at all, but that'd probably be the only way currently.

Anyone thoughts on that?

I fully agree with you... the lack of SSL support has kept me from completing various plugin projects I've had in mind. For example, implementing a global XMPP based messaging and invitation solution with global contacts isn't making any sense when it's unencrypted.

Replacing the Qt libs is not an option to me as their originals would be restored on any client update.

Quote Originally Posted by ScP View Post
    Replacing the Qt libs is not an option to me as their originals would be restored on any client update.
    Uh I didn't even think of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Philosound View Post
    Uh I didn't even think of that.
    Yep... and having access to the alpha channel sometimes means that you'll get multiple client updates per day... so replacing files is a no-no.

Thread Information