Forum

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Playclaw isn't free and isn't cheap, either, but it does offer a teamspeak overlay that is configurable and is now current to API 20.

It has nothing to do with "but but but Overwolf..." My job is to get user feedback and then pass it on so we can act on it. We find what people want, and then attempt to incorporate that.

The first part of your post? That's exactly what I look for. A detailed explanation of what YOU as a user want and look for in your program. I take that info, write it down and we talk about it here at Overwolf and then work on making Overwolf better for everyone, you included. I'm in no way shape or form "begging" you to use Overwolf. You don't want to use it? That's fine, I just want to know why so we can make it into something that you (or other users like you) would use.

Let me add that other/former official overlay authors aren't suddenly forbidden to code. I'd be disheartened, too, sure, but us other plugin developers somehow managed to survive the fact of not being bundled with the client itself.
    If the author decides to do some competing non-plugin project dropping the plugin, that's his decision entirely (not saying it's a bad one, just saying). That his plugin version isn't updated on the addon page or supported in this forum but solely on his website isn't anyone else's fault either.

From my point of view, as hinted I'd advice to put some development focus either on the ts module to gain feature parity with the former "official" plugin or keep it light and focus on the missing API functionality for us to provide a third party alternative with requested new or old features, so that one of the two general issues of not enough / too many is out of the way. I know the later is being worked on, I don't know about the priority though.

I for one can embrace the additional possibilities for plugin developers now and in the future. Ingame display and configuration of Teamspeak plugins wasn't possible before, since the old overlay plugin doesn't have a third party API. (Now all of a sudden the Kryptonite thingie goes into that direction too.) Think Now-Playing notifications, think changing a users volume from ingame and what not. While ofc not eveyone needs all that, it's hard to argue it'd be bad that we plugin devs are finally able to implement such. Not needing sth. is obviously a highly contextual perception, so I'd appreciate it if the average poster could try to be a little less hasty in impersonating the community spokesperson. Here's sth. else to contemplate about: While all bloat is unneeded, not all unneeded is bloat.
    Also, for the less tech-savvy requesters out there just a note: Creating and maintaining an overlay that supports fullscreen applications is a lot of work. A lot. Those things don't crash that often just for fun. Requesting alternatives just for the sake of some unneeded feature on an existing one, and now I'm doing the community spokesperson thing, might fall into the got-some-balls area for us plugin devs to waste our spare time on to offer such for free.

I still think the icon thingy did more harm than good for the reception of your alliance, aggravating the perception of it being bloatware. If it'd been bound to a feature, like being online in ow chat (didn't use that yet so I can only guess if that'd actually be useful information) or whatever, it might have worked out better for you than with what it is to date, a plain advertisment cluttering up the client if not disabled, isn't it

You might want to think about making default modules uninstallable, so average joe can get rid of modules he doesn't need no matter if it makes an actual difference in the performance department. Those "I'm ready" baloons, I feel, don't help either of it not playing itself in the foreground.
    Last edited by Philosound; January 22nd, 2014 at 11:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Philosound View Post
    I still think the icon thingy did more harm than good for the reception of your alliance, aggravating the perception of it being bloatware. If it'd been bound to a feature, like being online in ow chat (didn't use that yet so I can only guess if that'd actually be useful information) or whatever, it might have worked out better for you than with what it is to date, a plain advertisment cluttering up the client if not disabled, isn't it
    I agree. The Overwolf badge was the first thing I disabled when I noticed this "feature". I have no problems with Overwolf at all and I think it's a great piece of software, but a) I don't use overlay stuff at all and b) I'm a Mac user and Overwolf is a Windows-only product. So there's no need for the TS3 client to tell me "Hey buddy... see... this user is using Overwolf... and guess what? you can't cuz you're a friggin' Apple fanboy.".

But back to topic... I think Overwolf delivers exactly what the initial user wants if you set it up correctly. If you don't like Overwolf for some reason, you may wanna register for the BETA of this project (seems to be the successor of the ts3overlay plugin):

https://projectkryptonite.com/home

I found this thread while looking for information on why Overwolf works only intermittently. Didn't find it, but I did find the link to Project Kryptonite in the post above this one. It works! It's similar to what TS3Overlay looked like (which I thought was ideal, or could be set up to be ideal). Hopefully it works better than TS3Overlay and Overwolf did. So far, I like it!
    Last edited by jlk_250; January 26th, 2014 at 04:48 AM.

Hey guys,
    today i have updated my tsclient to version 3.0.14 and now my old ts3 overlay dosnt work, so i thought i use overwolf,but ..... and now the joke overwolf does not work to my game, Star Trek Online ....... my question WHY it dosnt work in this game????????
    OR cam we get the old overlay back please it was better an it does the only thing what i want from an overlay (showing the channel , who is talking and all in the channel , notifications of chat join and left massenges) overwolf is to big and uses f.....g stuff like facebook or something else we dont want in a Teamspeak overlay

Ts3 overlay for 3.0.14

Sent me link for ts3 overlay for 3.0.14 version. Dont work my ts overlay for 3.0.13

I find myself looking for the same thing as the OP of this thread.

I installed OW and immediately uninstalled for pretty much the same reasons. I do not want such a huge program that I will need to turn off a bunch of junk I will never use.

I have been using TS since Vanilla COD and overlays since their inception. The truth is OW has way too "bloat" for my taste or trust. (bloat is defined per user, sorry but this is the truth) Yes, trust is a huge factor in what I install on my machine. With all the Facebook and other crap I saw immediately upon installing, I cannot justify having anything installed with so many "tentacles" reaching out all over the net.

At least not for the small single useful feature I would use it for and certainly not when OW is not compatible with the best GPU monitoring s/w available, EVGA precision.

I find it a shame TS has decided to go in the direction of this bundled s/w and this issue with apparently no more "plugin overlay" has greatly soured my opinion on this update.

So while my contract for the TS server still has time left on it, it appears I am stuck not using an overlay at all and will have to evaluate all available voice s/w before paying for the next contract.

I'm here, like everybody else, looking for an overlay that works. Seems there isn't one. Frankly, I find it absurd that such a feature isn't natively supported in TeamSpeak.

And like everyone else, I'm not interested in Overwolf.

So I just reinstalled v3.0.13.1 so I can have this basic, obvious feature.
    Last edited by Chris; March 17th, 2014 at 09:29 AM.

I face exactly the e same problem: I am lookig for a reliable (means consistently and not sporadic working) overlay that shows me who is speaking at the moment, with repositionable and resizable window where those names are displayed, maybe fontsize an dcolors adjustable. Slim, no resource hungry... and most of all not a full package with tons of stuff I do not need nor want and that just eats resources.

The old TS3overlay was acceptable, although I always had to reboot to make it work properly after I did close TS (And yes, I do close programs when I do not need them).

Nothing I found so far works with the current build (API20),

Apart of that Overwolf (when I did try it after the priot update) is too bulky for my taste, and too extensive to configure to do only what I want from it ...

Did anyone get a solution to running the old overlay with the new version of the client??

In our EVE corporation, some users had success using the old version with the ts3overlay plugin, but that turned out to be a painful exercise for some users to implement, so we are using backup comms on mumble for now.

If anyone has figured out a solution, I would appreciate it if you could post it here, we have 6 weeks and our TS server is up for renewal, would rather find out now whether this can be fixed, rather than waste funds renewing a service that wont be usable.

Overwolf for DX11 please!

Quote Originally Posted by BadBoy66 View Post
    Nothing I found so far works with the current build (API20)
    Well this two overlays was already updated for API 20 / 3.0.14:
    http://tsnotifier.cfxxl.de
    https://projectkryptonite.com (successor of the old TS3 Overlay)

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan1200 View Post
    Well this two overlays was already updated for API 20 / 3.0.14:
    http://tsnotifier.cfxxl.de
    https://projectkryptonite.com (successor of the old TS3 Overlay)
    i to want a simple overlay that you dont need a bunch of other programs or have to pay for. when the original worked great and it did just what you want. cause i to just want to see who come in the server plus who entered the same channel i am in. then see who is talking.

why isnt this just part of teamspeak? im mean really it shouldnt be that hard for TS to include it into the software. and i tried that kryptonite and did the junk you had to do to get it to work. but it really didnt work like i have been use to. and it seem to work kind of shabby as well. it only lite up 1 player that was talking and didnt show who was in the same channel i was in. and no option to speak of as well. i hope TS or someone can fix the old tsoverlay cause it worked perfectly

Quote Originally Posted by SCAVENGER1 View Post
    i hope TS or someone can fix the old tsoverlay cause it worked perfectly
    Well, the old TS Overlay is discontinued (see http://ts3overlay.r-dev.de) and the developer is now creating Project Kryptonite.

By the way: Creating a good working TS3 Overlay, that is compatible with all games without banning your game account or crashing the game is not an easy task!

Thread Information