Forum

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Isn't there a simple overlay plugin available now?

I had a lot of trouble with the ts3overlay plugin working sometimes and not working sometimes, but when it worked, it was exactly what I needed in Arma 3. Then it started crashing my game. Constantly.

It turned out that the ts3overlay plugin was no longer being supported. OK, but now what? Isn't there a simple overlay program available now?

I don't know if Overwolf has an overlay feature or not, but it seems to include a crapload of stuff I don't need. (The website says "Facebook, Skype, Video Capture and more." I don't know what "more" includes, but I certainly don't need those first three features, and I'd prefer less rather than more!)

I also tried the Project: Kryptonite beta. I'm not sure what that's supposed to do, since none of the screenshots even seem to show an overlay. But when I tried it, it wouldn't detect Arma 3 anyway, so I guess the whole thing is moot.

Are there any other options? Just a simple overlay plugin is all I want. I've got access to an older version of TeamSpeak (3.0.12), so I tried installing that. But I'd need an older version of the ts3overlay plugin, too, and I don't have the slightest idea which one would work. (I found a website with different versions, but I don't have any idea how to interpret it. Could someone tell me which version would work with TS 3.0.12?)

If I could return to the past, where at least it worked sometimes, I'd be a lot better off than I am now! Or are there other alternatives?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Garthright View Post
    I had a lot of trouble with the ts3overlay plugin working sometimes and not working sometimes, but when it worked, it was exactly what I needed in Arma 3. Then it started crashing my game. Constantly.

It turned out that the ts3overlay plugin was no longer being supported. OK, but now what? Isn't there a simple overlay program available now?

I don't know if Overwolf has an overlay feature or not, but it seems to include a crapload of stuff I don't need. (The website says "Facebook, Skype, Video Capture and more." I don't know what "more" includes, but I certainly don't need those first three features, and I'd prefer less rather than more!)

I also tried the Project: Kryptonite beta. I'm not sure what that's supposed to do, since none of the screenshots even seem to show an overlay. But when I tried it, it wouldn't detect Arma 3 anyway, so I guess the whole thing is moot.

Are there any other options? Just a simple overlay plugin is all I want. I've got access to an older version of TeamSpeak (3.0.12), so I tried installing that. But I'd need an older version of the ts3overlay plugin, too, and I don't have the slightest idea which one would work. (I found a website with different versions, but I don't have any idea how to interpret it. Could someone tell me which version would work with TS 3.0.12?)

If I could return to the past, where at least it worked sometimes, I'd be a lot better off than I am now! Or are there other alternatives?

Thanks.
    Hey there!

Figured you might appreciate an answer from someone from Overwolf, so let me answer ya. We do in fact have an overlay for Teamspeak, it's why you can download us from the TS client.

You are right though, we do offer a lot of things you might not want (but we might give you something you do want, but aren't aware we offer it), but the program is built to be non-intrusive. That means that you would barely notice that the program is even there. The dock is small, and hides itself leaving a very small black semi-circle that you can mouse over it if you want and we don't force you to use any of the apps and it's free.

Here is an example of the dock in game when hidden.

Here is an example of the Teamspeak app with all the possible windows open. You don't have to have any of those windows open, and you would just have those notifications you see in the top left corner of who is talking at that moment.

Though I would suggest you to check out the apps anyway, there might be something that would strike your interest like an in-game Chrome based browser or a music player. Maybe even an app for one of the games you play.

Thanks for the reply, but I can't see what I want in either of those screenshots. (Maybe I just don't recognize it?)

All I want - all I want - is for the name of the person talking on TeamSpeak to show up on my computer screen. Well, OK, I want the font to be big enough for my eyes (which means a lot bigger than the default), I want the name to stay on the screen a few seconds (probably longer than the default), and I want to location to be easily adjustable - all of which was easy in the previous overlay program - but it's really pretty simple.

I don't want anything else. Other people do, no doubt, and that's fine. But I'm not going to use any more bells and whistles, and the more complication, the more things which can go wrong. But as long as I can turn off whatever I don't want, I could live with that.

However, I'm still not seeing what I do want. Do you have a screenshot of that? You say that Overwolf has an overlay, but I haven't seen it on any screenshots (or if I have, I didn't recognize it). And everything I have heard about it I don't want or need.

Thanks again for the reply.

Bill

PS. Arma 3 has got a built-in communication system which tells me the name of who's speaking. That's all I want. Unfortunately, the group I play with wants to use TeamSpeak, instead. That's OK with me, but it's frustrating when TeamSpeak doesn't seem to have what I actually need.

The old overlay program never worked reliably for me, but it usually worked OK. Now, however, it crashes Arma 3 if I try to use it (even using an old version of TeamSpeak and matching version of the plugin). So I can't do that, either.

Hey!

Yea it's in the second picture. If you look there you can see 3 things from Overwolf. From right to left:

1. The big window - That is the main Teamspeak window where you log in and out and can change settings. This can be hidden or shown however you like, it's just for logging in.

2. The smaller window with the TS logo - This is the "app" window. The big TS icon is to turn Teamspeak on (so you don't have to tab out or turn TS on before launching the game, can launch it whenever) and then it changes to 3 buttons. Those 3 buttons will show the main window, show the channel window or turn on/off notifications. That window can also be shown or hidden as you like.

3. The 4 little bars in the top left hand corner - This is just notifications of who is speaking at the time in chronological order. These disappear when the person stops talking. The number of bars there is only dependent on the number of people talking.

All the windows can be hidden, even the notifications can be hidden too. The whole point of Overwolf is to be non-intrusive into games, but give you whatever tools you need or want to play without having to tab out. You can show or hide all the windows of the TS app and only keep the Notifications up by just using the Shift + F2 hotkey or just using the minimize button on the windows.

All I want - all I want - is for the name of the person talking on TeamSpeak to show up on my computer screen.
    Hi Bill,

it's a bit hard to create a screenshot to show something "nearly invisible", however please have a look again at this screenshot:
    https://projectkryptonite.com/images...0-09_00005.jpg

Right above the handrail (on the right side of the screen), you can see a tiny yellow text "Mark" - this is what you see, if the user "Mark" is speaking, so this probably fulfills your request...

Best regards
    - Mark

Is there any progress with this feature request?

I personally feel it is quite basic and fundamental to an overlay to sit above a game client and not need to take up much screen real estate. The third screenshot listed is of a format desired, but it is for notifications, not for showing who is speaking.

Playing EVE Online, there's often many people in the same chat channel, and screen real estate is at a premium.
    http://forums.overwolf.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2821

Apologies if the notifications can be configured in overwolf to show the person speaking, if this is the case, please direct me to the configuration. For now, I will look to try the old plugin.

Isn't there a simple overlay program available now?
    Did you already test this?
    http://tsnotifier.cfxxl.de

I want to second Bill's request! TSOverlay provided *just* what we want; a list of members in a channel and a highlight on who is speaking. All the rest of the bells and whistles might be usable for some folks, but not for us. Overwolf is kinda like the kitchen sink ... and I don't need a kitchen sink in my game, I need an overlay like what we had.

Kryptonite presents possibilities but so far isn't working for us (because the API is the wrong version for the newest Teamspeak. The closest I've found to what we need, other than the old and now non-functioinal TSOverlay is offered by PlayClaw but it too is non-functional because the API is outdated.

Quote Originally Posted by Persecutor View Post
    I want to second Bill's request! TSOverlay provided *just* what we want; a list of members in a channel and a highlight on who is speaking. All the rest of the bells and whistles might be usable for some folks, but not for us. Overwolf is kinda like the kitchen sink ... and I don't need a kitchen sink in my game, I need an overlay like what we had.

Kryptonite presents possibilities but so far isn't working for us (because the API is the wrong version for the newest Teamspeak. The closest I've found to what we need, other than the old and now non-functioinal TSOverlay is offered by PlayClaw but it too is non-functional because the API is outdated.
    Something like this what you're looking for?

http://i.imgur.com/pEEbtVZ.jpg

Top little thing is who is speaking, the bottom box is who is in the channel. When a person is speaking that person's name glows blue instead of white (as can be seen in the SS, my name is blue) and a notification pops up where you tell it to pop up (little rectangle in the top left corner under the FPS)

@OWRaif,

Thank you for your reply.

Yes, although the list certainly doesn't have to be in a pretty box like in the image you posted; a simple overlay list is just fine, font size should be adjustable to adapt to different screen resolutions and user-selectable font colors would also be useful to adjust for various game backgrounds. The notification box is, for me, unnecessary; a glowing name is sufficient to let me know that, as your example, "Raif" is speaking.

The less intrusive (to the game play) the overlay is, IMHO, the better.

Quote Originally Posted by OWRaif View Post
    but the program is built to be non-intrusive.
    That means that you would barely notice that the program is even there.
    As long as I barely notice it, its intrusive.

The dock is small, and hides itself leaving a very small black semi-circle that you can mouse over it if you want and we don't force you to use any of the apps and it's free.
    There should be no dock, or at least we could be able to totally disable it. Same happens with the tray icon, as long as its there it disturbs.

Also we dont need shadows and shades and fancy frames...

And it should start automatically when ts3 is started.
    Last edited by Jooki; January 17th, 2014 at 04:20 AM.

Well that picture that I posted? That's with Ovewolf. You can disable the dock, the notifications and only have that box where you see my name light up like that. I can tell you how to configure it like that as it takes all of unchecking a few box and pressing a minimize button. Here's how:

1. Go to your settings (wrench icon on the dock) and go to your general tab.
    2. There you have at the top a box that says "Show the dock when I start to play a game" and uncheck it.
    3. Then go to the In-Game control and check "Control Overwolf when I hit Shift + F1".
    4. Go to the Notifications tab and uncheck everything.

Now you set it up so that the Overwolf dock doesn't show up in your games and you have no notifications either. Now what you do is start the TS3 app, and load the TS server you want. Click on the "Channel button" and then close the box (the minus sign in the corner) and keep only the channel window. Now you click the minus sign on the dock and all you have left is the channel window and it should look like the picture I posted above. If you need Overwolf again, you just hit Shift + F1 and the dock shows up and you can do whatever, then hit the minimize again and it will disappear. Overwolf will not automatically show itself in your games anymore and you can have the setup I posted above (minus the notifications in the top left corner).

As for starting automatically when TS3 starts, you got the order wrong. You start TS3 from the Overwolf by clicking on the app. The tray icon disappearing is not something I think we can do. Overwolf is a separate program from TS3, and needs a tray icon for you to be able to start TS3 from it. You can set it up so as to not see the dock and just start TS3 from the tray icon and have it that way. I find it odd that you say that our tray icon is disturbing but the TS icon isn't, or any other tray icon for that matter, why is that?

What you're asking for is the old TS3 overlay, which is something we do (as I showed in the picture above) but there is a style and some things that we do offer that we will keep. We are not just a TS3 overlay, we are our own company with our own platform that have the TS3 overlay as an app we offer among other things we do give.

Raif,

Thank you for that explanation. If I wanted the kitchen sink to work at a minimal level on my system so I could see who was on my channel and who was talking you have made that possible.

However, that isn't what I want. All the "options" may be non-intrusive, but they exist on my system if Overwolf is installed. That means links to other programs that I don't want to be connected to, ever.

Overwolf as it exists now is not an option for me and has been uninstalled.

Bill's original cry for help is what still rings true for me, and for others too, I now know. How about a simple overlay and that's all? Who out there can create that? Or does it already exist and we don't know about it?

Quote Originally Posted by Persecutor View Post
    Raif,

Thank you for that explanation. If I wanted the kitchen sink to work at a minimal level on my system so I could see who was on my channel and who was talking you have made that possible.

However, that isn't what I want. All the "options" may be non-intrusive, but they exist on my system if Overwolf is installed. That means links to other programs that I don't want to be connected to, ever.

Overwolf as it exists now is not an option for me and has been uninstalled.

Bill's original cry for help is what still rings true for me, and for others too, I now know. How about a simple overlay and that's all? Who out there can create that? Or does it already exist and we don't know about it?
    Can you explain what you mean by this bit right here? What do you mean by that? What other programs?

It's nice, that Overwolf exists, it has quite a cool style and maybe is useful for many people. I don't need it, I won't use it, and I would like to have the good old Team Speak Overlay-Plugin back as well. Ctrl+Alt+O, move in place, set mode, finished. Remembers position and settings per game. KISS - Keep It Simple, Stupid.

No mousoverthingy, no installation, no other program cluttering up anything, no settings to find in a bunch of other settings, just a checkmark and done.

It's not about not wanting Overwolf. I'm ok with Overwolf, it's just not, what I want and like to use - tried it though. We don't want to be convinced of something like car-dealers do, when you don't want the XL-version. Just say: Nothing there no more. Use Overwolf or use nothing at all - maybe because of contracts.

Never mind... But these "but but but Overwolf..."-replies don't help. Keep up the good work for those who like it ;o)

Regards,
    YAFA - Yet Another _______ Account

Thread Information