Forum

Opus 1.1 and SSL

As Opus 1.1 is now released, it would be cool to have TS use it. Also it's time for SSL support.

Quote Originally Posted by Razilla View Post
    As Opus 1.1 is now released, it would be cool to have TS use it. Also it's time for SSL support.
    +1 Update to 1.1 [
    .::: ChangeLog :::.

new analysis code and tuning that significantly improves encoding quality, especially for variable-bitrate (VBR),
    automatic detection of speech or music to decide which encoding mode to use,
    surround with good quality at 128 kbps for 5.1 and usable down to 48 kbps, and
    speed improvements on all architectures, especially ARM, where decoding uses around 40% less CPU and encoding uses around 30% less CPU.
    These improvements are explained in more details in Monty's demo (updated from the 1.1 beta demo).

I hope this gets added soon! This should be high up on their to-do list. I hope they also add in an option to use variable-bitrate encoding considering that was improved a lot, it would be good for bandwidth usage.

48kbps bitrate?... Good codec? How about "utterly useless"? Or do they think everyone have 100Mbit internet?

48 kbps = 6 KB/s

You don't need 100 Mbit, an ancient ISDN line will also do. Current Opus codec at the highest level uses 7.71 KB/s.

Thanks, I know how to count bytes.

Didn't look like it in your previous post.

That's because you forgot take off your high horse.
    Even in the center of a big city, 33.6kbps connect could be a blessing.

Or not, as 33.6 is hardly a blessing.

You seem to ignore that kbps is actually kilobitspersecond. Seeing how it takes 8 of them to make a single byte (which really ain't all that much :P ) 33.6kbps is hardly anything at all. Let's just say you wouldn't be able to post as much as you have been in your entire life with that kind of internet speed
    When sending PMs please make sure to include a reference link to the thread in question in the body of your message.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    You seem to ignore that kbps is actually kilobitspersecond. Seeing how it takes 8 of them to make a single byte (which really ain't all that much :P ) 33.6kbps is hardly anything at all. Let's just say you wouldn't be able to post as much as you have been in your entire life with that kind of internet speed
    Despite the jeopordy of subtracting from the current attention being given to one of the classics, might I refocus the original idea (esp. since a TS team member has seen this): Any conversation going around about Opus v1.1 in those nifty dev meetings over there? Just wondering if it's even on the radar or whatnot.

I know several communities what would appreciated this added capacity/efficiency.

SSL is already in the client since a few builds.
    As far as Opus is concerned it will happen eventually, but as usual no definite date.
    When sending PMs please make sure to include a reference link to the thread in question in the body of your message.

You seem to ignore that kbps is actually kilobitspersecond.
    Do you refer to me? I know that 33.6 are kbps, I had a modem with that speed, before switching to a 56k one.

SSL is already in the client since a few builds.
    As far as Opus is concerned it will happen eventually, but as usual no definite date.
    Enc works great! Thanks for the usual, BUT appreciated and (quick!) response. Glad it's down the road.

Thread Information