Forum

Question Grey a Server Group's ability to create channel but still allow sub-channel creation?

Some background : After managing my own TS3 server for nearly over a year now, I think I've worked out most of the problems and I have a greater respect for the TS3 permission system. Having said that, most of my TS3 server is Server Group based, so far it has worked well for us. I know about Channel groups and all, but my assumption here is that my question should not require the *USE OF* Channel groups.

But I've hit a snag that I really couldn't solve and usually I'll research the problem, but this time I really can't find or think of a solution, hence I've decided to write my question here.

So here's the problem: as per the title my server group used to have the ability to create both channels & sub-channels in the right-click drop-down menu. Now they are requesting to disable the option (grey-out) in the drop-down menu. But yet allow them to create sub-channels. (This request came about because there was some confusion on the creation of channels which was the top-level of the server, versus sub-channels, but that's besides the point of this question)

So can it be done? I've checked the other permissions to see if they maybe over-writing the server channel group's permission but nothing that I can see. In fact most of the other permissions were completely disabled and I know none of my users are in the other permissions.

My current server group's permissions:
    http://i39.tinypic.com/3463vk4.jpg
    Now I have tried to remove permission to b_channel_create_child and b_channel_create_temporary but it seem to disable BOTH creating channels & sub-channel options. So that's the where I am really confused.

If you made it this far, thanks for reading my huge wall of text. And if you have a solution to my problem I would really like to learn.

So, they should not be able to create main-channels, but create sub-channels?
    "i_channel_min_depth" should be set to a value > 0 for this, according to your screenshot its already done and should work.

Btw, your group has "*_create_with_default" and "*_make_default" in the channel permission section set.
    Is this an admin group? Normal groups shouldnt define which channel is the default one unless you want this.

Quote Originally Posted by Alcazar View Post
    So, they should not be able to create main-channels, but create sub-channels?
    "i_channel_min_depth" should be set to a value > 0 for this, according to your screenshot its already done and should work.

Btw, your group has "*_create_with_default" and "*_make_default" in the channel permission section set.
    Is this an admin group? Normal groups shouldnt define which channel is the default one unless you want this.
    Thanks Alcazar for helping.

Yes your summary is correct - they want to be able to create sub-channels and not main-channels.
    well yes it actually does work, but when it comes to the interface, they can still select 'create channels' even though it has been disabled internally.
    is there a way to grey-out that option in the right-click drop-down menu?

and thanks for catching the default channel permissions. they are an admin group but you're right they don't need those options. So sharing that image is good - it helps others review and comment, and I improve my knowledge. (thumbs-up!)

The short answer is No, it is not possible to gray it out.
    Only time when "create channel" is grayed out is when you can't create channel or sub-channel.
    This is designed inside teamspeak3. No way to fix it with configuration/permissions.

After recent discussions at my workplace about bugs and stuff when it comes to development,
    If you realy want this to be handled, post it as request for new feature in teamspeak3.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomas View Post
    The short answer is No, it is not possible to gray it out.
    Only time when "create channel" is grayed out is when you can't create channel or sub-channel.
    This is designed inside teamspeak3. No way to fix it with configuration/permissions.
    thank you Tomas. That was what I observed as well when I tried to individually disable b_channel_create_temporary thinking it would affect only the channels and NOT sub-channels. Thus my confusion and the reason I did my research and in the end posted here.

Well I don't really think I need this as a feature. But for someone who has been working with logical TS3's permission for sometime now, I would think this could be thought of as abit 'illogical' and maybe even defined as a minor UI bug.

I say a minor UI bug because if I were to add or remove a Server Group or a Channel Group, it will get reflected in the drop-down menu. If I added or removed a permission to edit say b_channel_modify_description or b_channel_join_ignore_password we can immediately observe the logical effect of the changes made. But I can't say the same for what we have observed in greaying-out create channel/sub-channels, unless there's an exception somewhere that I'm not aware of.

Thread Information