Forum

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SRV record help

Question SRV record help

I purchased a domain from godaddy yesterday, and I find myself having some issues when it comes to using their zone editor for SRV records (something they say they cant help me with). So, I decided to come here.

I am posting an image of the zone editor with the settings filled out that were working for a few hours, then suddenly stopped working.

Seeing that GoDaddy is the largest registrar of .com(s) in the US, I hope someone can help me. Even if it is just posting a screenshot of your own that I can work from.

Where's your problem? The entry looks fine to me.

It looks fine to me too, and it was working for a few hours, but it stopped. I can no longer use ts.technicataclysm.com to connect to my TS server.

I know that the server is up and running and that the port is correct, I can connect to it using the IP.

I dont need the ts3dns service running do I? (Though I havent had it running so that would not explain why it worked for a short time yesterday)

$ host ts.technicataclysm.com
    Host ts.technicataclysm.com not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)

The SRV record may be correct, but the host it points to (ts.technicataclysm.com) is not known in the DNS. This is your problem.

The SRV record is only a pointer to another DNS record. That other DNS record has to be a valid A record or a valid CNAME record which points to an A record.

If technicataclysm.com is the name of your domain, add a CNAME record with the name "ts" that looks like your www or ftp alias, if the IP address you gave your domain is the machine your TS server runs on. Or change the SRV record to directly point to technicataclysm.com and not ts.technicataclysm.com.

It points to a valid IP address. ("@" is "technicataclysm.com"... because the long form points to the ip, the system replaces it with "@")

Quote Originally Posted by Col_Crunch View Post
    It looks fine to me too, and it was working for a few hours, but it stopped. I can no longer use ts.technicataclysm.com to connect to my TS server.

I know that the server is up and running and that the port is correct, I can connect to it using the IP.
    Well, if the srv record resolves (Target : port) ts.technicataclysm.com:9985 then explanation is simple and clear:
    Code:
    20/12/2013 16:49:28	ClientUI	Info	Connect to server: ts.technicataclysm.com	
    20/12/2013 16:49:28	ClientUI	Info	Trying to resolve ts.technicataclysm.com	
    20/12/2013 16:49:28	TSDNS	Info	SRV DNS resolve unsuccessful for "_ts3._udp.ts.technicataclysm.com"	
    20/12/2013 16:49:28	TSDNS	Info	No SRV TSDNS found at "_tsdns._tcp.ts.technicataclysm.com"	
    20/12/2013 16:49:28	TSDNS	Info	No SRV TSDNS found at "_tsdns._tcp.technicataclysm.com"	
    20/12/2013 16:49:28	TSDNS	Info	No TSDNS found at "ts.technicataclysm.com"	
    20/12/2013 16:49:28	TSDNS	Info	DNS resolve unsuccessful for "ts.technicataclysm.com"	
    20/12/2013 16:49:36	ClientUI	Info	Lookup finished:  9985  0 2	
    20/12/2013 16:49:36	ClientUI	Info	Failed to resolve ts.technicataclysm.com	
    20/12/2013 16:49:49	TSDNS	Info	No TSDNS found at "technicataclysm.com"
    the SRV Record points to a target : port inexistent.

Note: I've tried technicataclysm.com:9985 and I've connected --> If the server is there, why you indicate [email protected] in the srv target field? Indicate directly technicataclysm.com
    Last edited by PotaBlava; December 20th, 2013 at 04:56 PM. Reason: Note added

I have tried in the name field: [email protected] and ts and ts.technicataclysm.com none worked. I tried each of them with technicataclysm.com and ts.technicataclysm.com in the target field.

Neither worked.

Read the FAQ.

Quote Originally Posted by numma_cway View Post
    Read the FAQ.
    That doesn't exactly help. >.>

technicataclysm.com works great for me:
    Code:
    C:\Users\Redeemer>nslookup -q=SRV _ts3._udp.technicataclysm.com
    Server:  UnKnown
    Address:  192.168.2.1

_ts3._udp.technicataclysm.com   SRV service location:
              priority       = 0
              weight         = 0
              port           = 9985
              svr hostname   = ts.technicataclysm.com
    So I get connected to ts.technicataclysm.com:9985 just fine.
    BUT UPDATE YOUR SERVER. NOW. IMMEDIATELY.

You seem to insist to enter the string "ts" or "ts.<something>" in the target field of the SRV record. That's not necessary. Just enter the string "technicataclysm.com" there (without the quotes, and without "ts."), since you gave the name "technicataclysm.com" a A record behind it (the topmost entry in your picture) that points to your IP.
    But if you insist to have "ts.technicataclysm.com" in the target field of your SRV record, you must also create a host called "ts.technicataclysm.com" by giving it either a A record or a CNAME record.

Quote Originally Posted by Schlumpi View Post
    But if you insist to have "ts.technicataclysm.com" in the target field of your SRV record, you must also create a host called "ts.technicataclysm.com" by giving it either a A record or a CNAME record.
    Acording to RFC 2782 the target of a SRV must be an A record or AAAA record ... RFC 2782 clearly states that a CNAME is no correct and valid target! It may work because most DNS resolvers are quite sloppy, but technically it's not allowed.

There used to be a host when I checked (if not, I couldn't tell he's running 3.0.7). He deleted it in the meantime.

Nothing has been deleted. And if I set a CNAME it directs TS to port 9987 (obv not the port that I want).

Adding a ts A record will not work. And the point of the SRV record is so that I dont have to give people the port.

The SRV record gives the user the udp port... but to function it needs an A record as target!

Thread Information