Forum

Notice to all users

We are migrating towards a new forum system located at community.teamspeak.com, as such this forum will become read-only on January 29, 2020

EndCrawler Guest

SUGGESTION: File Transfer Limits and Standard File Permissions

Dear TeamSpeak Dev,

I have the following suggestions which should improve the file management in TeamSpeak. This should be safe for servers and users. If it is already implemented, please let me know.

1) LIMIT DATA SPACE FOR CHANNEL
    It will be great if I am able to say: There is (2GB) data space for files for ALL channels or there is (100MB) data space for channel (ID=123). Why? I is better if you are able to set a limit so your TeamSpeak folder will not blow up. Yes, you can already set a limit for upload/download bandwidth but if you set it to e.g. 100MB this will not excluse that you have files with a size of 1GB because 10 people uploaded 100MB. I saw that the request of limit file size was rejected.
    BUT: My idea is to set a MAX AMOUNT FOR THE GLOBAL (USER) FILE-CHANNEL-POOL (all channels).

2) SET DEFAULT PERMISSIONS
    Is it possible to implement a feature which set the default file transfer permissions? So if anyone creates a channel, all permission are set to 100, so the file transfer will be blocked in self-created channel. A boolean (b_allow_filetransfer) will also be greate as an alternative.

The second one might actually work already. Actually, I'm not sure what sense this makes at all. People can simply upload stuff in other channels.

Well, here's how I think it works: Set every server groups' (except for SA) i_ft_file_upload_power to -1. If you want to allow people to upload stuff to a certain channel, you simply set that channel's i_ft_needed_file_upload_power to -1. This should work. If you don't want random people (Server Guests) to upload stuff, their i_ft_file_upload_power must be -2.

EndCrawler Guest
    for 2)
    yes basic math! Thanks, i will try it. WHY? All channel file transfer is blocked, only ONE ist activated so I see which files are uploaded. So all users has to use this channel. If I block the file transfer for new channels, they cannot use these channel and ONLY my magic file trasfer channel can be used.

If I am able to set a max amount of disk space, i have the full control over the file transfer.

There is such a limit for each virtual server. If you have only filetransfer-enabled channel, that's it. Problem solved.

EndCrawler Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by numma_cway View Post
    There is such a limit for each virtual server. If you have only filetransfer-enabled channel, that's it. Problem solved.
    Really? What is the name of this value? :/

It's probably a considerable amount of work to implement per-channel space restrictions (it's not as easy as "enumerate all files in the channel, add file sizes and deny uploads, if new upload exceeds a limit"), so we will not see such a feature soon.

On Linux, it is already possible to use file system quotas to limit the space used by virtual servers or even by channels. It's tedious work and managed completely outside Teamspeak, however.

Short description of implementing per-virtual-server limits:
    - for every virtual server, create a Linux group (groupadd)
    - set the group ownership of every files/virtualserver_? to its corresponding group you just created (chgrp -R)
    - set the "set group id" bit of the directories as well (chmod)
    - activate file system quotas for the file system the Teamspeak server has its database (quotacheck/quotaon)
    - set the actual quota values (addquota/edquota)
    - whenever a new virtual server is created from within Teamspeak, a new corresponding Linux group has to be created manually and assigned the group ownership of its file system directory

This way, you can even give channels individual quota limits, but only existing channels. As soon as you create a new channel, this channel will inherit the global quota and must be individually limited.

An idea for supporting this kind of server management to the Teamspeak developers: the server should call an operating system command, whenever a virtual server or a channel is created or deleted. This command gets the directory or the id of the server/channel in question as parameter. This way, preparations of new or cleanup of old channel data can be accomplished.

The downside to use operating system-enforced limits: not very specific error messages from within the Teamspeak client, if a quota is exceeded.
    Last edited by Schlumpi; December 23rd, 2013 at 05:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by EndCrawler View Post
    Really? What is the name of this value? :/
    Hmm, this is on per-month basis. Isn't there a feature in linux to set a quota to a certain folder? Like this.

Thread Information