Forum

Lightbulb [TUTORIAL] Easy Teamspeak3 Linux Server Upgrade Guide

The top listing on this forum AFTER actually searching how to do a Linux server upgrade is a closed thread, which gives no actual help whatsoever by the "guru" who closed the thread. I am creating this quick and easy guide to updating a TS3 Server on a Linux server. I run my server on Ubuntu, but this quick guide should work on any Linux server. Perhaps some day it will get a sticky

1. Download and unpack latest teamspeak-server_linux-(version).tar.gz file. In my case I am using teamspeak3-server_linux-amd64-3.0.10.2.tar.gz, so my guide will use this file in my guide examples.

2. *IMPORTANT* Backup your old TS3 server directory. In my case, my TS3 server root folder is /opt/ts3, so I will use that in my guide examples.

3. Compare the files in the new teamspeak3-server_linux-amd64-3.0.10.2/sql folder to your current Teamspeak server folder, /opt/ts3/mysql and see what the newest SQL update file is. Note: For TS3 Server Version 3.0.10.2 the update file is update_21.sql.

4. Shutdown your TS3 server.

5. Copy 2 files, the update_##.sql file found in step 3 and the teamspeak-server_linux-(version) file from the unpacked teamspeak-server_linux-(version) folder to your current server folder. In my case, I am copying ts3server_linux_amd64 to /opt/ts3.

6. That's it. Start your TS3 server back up again.

If all went well, you should be able to connect with all previous settings intact.

If it didn't go well, make sure that all your files are owned by the teamspeak user.

I don't agree with step 5... just copy all files. You'll miss any new files in "serverquerydocs" or in "tsnds". It also makes steps 3 obsolete. Just copy the whole stuff and done.

Thread Information