Forum

Notice to all users

We are migrating towards a new forum system located at community.teamspeak.com, as such this forum will become read-only on January 29, 2020

Migrating SQLite TS3 server with NPL from Windows > Windows

Hello!

Two weeks ago I tried to migrate my Teamspeak 3 server, however, I got in trouble with the license resulting in the error "virtual server id 1 is running elsewhere, shutting down!".

I've been doing some research (read at least 40 topics searching this forum), I think I got a decent understanding as to why this issue was popping up, but I'm still a bit confused as how to do a best practice migration.

Situation
    Old server: Windows Server 2008 R2
    New server: Windows Web Server 2008 R2
    Teamspeak: SQLite

Goal: move the entire teamspeak server to the new server without any license or accounting issues. The current TS server is just running 1 TS server instance/ID.

General questions after reading through these forums
    - I read about the accounting server needing up to 3 hours to "recognize" that a server (the old one) has been shutdown. Do I need to take this into account somehow?
    - I read that you could make a snapshot from the old server, shut it down, install a fresh ts server on the new server and load the snapshot. Is this the main way to do this kind of migration, and how does this relate to the delay of the accounting server?
    - I also read that you could just create a new TS server on the server and move the sqlite database (or parts of it) to keep your settings. I'm still unsure, if I do it this way, what aspects of the sqlite database I can move and what parts I need to leave alone in order to evade any licensing issues. Because two weeks ago I did something along these lines, I simply moved the whole teamspeak server folder to the new server and ran it (resulting in licensing issues).

I think it must be relatively easy to move from Windows > Windows, however, I can't seem to get my head around the underlying mechanism/systems of the licensing/accounting server, and I can't seem to find general guidelines for migrating a server (but maybe I've missed them).

Any help greatly appreciated!

A few weeks ago, I migrated from one Linux vps to another Linux vps. You're Windows, but that doesn't matter in this case, I assume.

First, I installed a fresh Teamspeak server on the new vps and started it with no license and no database, so it created a new database with a default unlicensed 32-slot server. I verified proper operation and reachability (Firewall and such) by connecting to that server with a Teamspeak client. I stopped the server after my tests.

Then I shut down the old Teamspeak server daemon on the old vps, disabled its autostart, and verified the clean shutdown in its logfile:
    Code:
    2014-01-08 18:24:59.181065|INFO    |ServerMain    |   | Received signal SIGTERM, shutting down.
    I assumed that such clean shutdown tells the licensing server that the server with its license was just shutdown and the license was currently running nowhere.
    Then I copied the the ts3server.sqlitedb file, the license file and the files/ directory to the new vps and overwrote the files that were created by my tests.

Then I started the Teamspeak server on the new vps. Perhaps 5 minutes were passed since the shutdown on the old server. The server came up and was running perfectly fine on the new vps from then on. Nothing was shut down automatically, it just worked as flawlessly on the new server as it worked on the old server.

At the same time (after I verified proper operation on the new server), I updated the DNS entries for the server to point to the new IP address. One day before, I lowered the TTL setting of the old DNS entry to 300 seconds, so the new address I entered now was propagated within 5 minutes. My users felt almost no downtime - it was only about 5-10 minutes down for someone who tried to connect during the move. The users magically connected to the new server via the changed DNS entry, and they didn't even notice that the server has been moved. After I verified proper operation, I raised the TTL back to 86400 for the A DNS record (1 day).

There is one thing you must take notice, if your new server has a different ip address than your old one: if you have a newer NPL with fixed IP address, you must contact Teamspeak licensing and tell them the new IP address. They will provide you with a new license you must use on the new server. I had an old license with no fixed IP address, so I didn't need this step as preparation for the actual move

Thank you for your detailed reply, Schlumpi.

Then I copied the the ts3server.sqlitedb file, the license file and the files/ directory to the new vps and overwrote the files that were created by my tests.
    I assume the above database file and/or the Files folder contain all the relevant info from your previous server, including channel settings, group settings, ban lists, tokens etc?

Yes. The files folder contains user assets like uploaded images, icons, avatars and uploaded channel files. The database file contains everything else (configuration data: actual channel setup, permissions, user information, etc).

Worked like a charm. Thanks for your help.

Thread Information