Hi,

I sent a ticket in to have my NPL licence IP updated to my windows VPS. I got a reply telling me the IP for the licence had been updated so downloaded the licencekey.dat from my old VPS then shut it down permanently and moved it into the root directory of my windows server teamspeak folder. When I restarted the server I noticed I couldn't connect at all even on localhost.

Anyone have any ideas how to resolve this?

LOG:

01-17 09:47:37.442081|INFO |ServerLibPriv | | TeamSpeak 3 Server 3.0.10.2 (2013-12-02 08:19:01)
2014-01-17 09:47:37.442081|INFO |ServerLibPriv | | SystemInformation: Windows Server 2012 (9200) x64 (AMD or Intel) Binary: 64bit
2014-01-17 09:47:37.442081|INFO |ServerLibPriv | | Using hardware aes
2014-01-17 09:47:37.442081|INFO |DatabaseQuery | | dbPlugin name: SQLite3 plugin, Version 2, (c)TeamSpeak Systems GmbH
2014-01-17 09:47:37.442081|INFO |DatabaseQuery | | dbPlugin version: 3.7.3
2014-01-17 09:47:37.442081|INFO |DatabaseQuery | | checking database integrity (may take a while)
2014-01-17 09:47:37.728428|INFO |Accounting | | Licensing Information
2014-01-17 09:47:37.728428|INFO |Accounting | | type : Non-profit
2014-01-17 09:47:37.728428|INFO |Accounting | | starting date : Fri Sep 27 00:00:00 2013
2014-01-17 09:47:37.728428|INFO |Accounting | | ending date : Thu Mar 27 00:00:00 2014
2014-01-17 09:47:37.728428|INFO |Accounting | | max virtualservers: 10
2014-01-17 09:47:37.728428|INFO |Accounting | | max slots : 512
2014-01-17 09:47:39.087882|INFO | | | Puzzle precompute time: 1344
2014-01-17 09:47:39.087882|INFO |FileManager | | listening on 0.0.0.0:30033
2014-01-17 09:47:39.134762|INFO |CIDRManager | | updated query_ip_whitelist ips: 127.0.0.1,
2014-01-17 09:47:39.134762|INFO |Query | | listening on 0.0.0.0:10011
2014-01-17 09:47:39.291021|ERROR |Accounting | | too many slots hosted, shutting down!
2014-01-17 09:47:56.798639|INFO |GetWanIP | | WAN ip: xx.xx.xx.xx