Forum

Notice to all users

We are migrating towards a new forum system located at community.teamspeak.com, as such this forum will become read-only on January 29, 2020

Thread: Reserved Slots

Reserved Slots

Hey Guys/Gals,

I know this subject has been touched on by many but while searching I haven't found a clear answer to what i am looking for.

From what i know two things control reserve slots on a server:

i_needed_modify_power_virtualserver_modify_reserve d_slots
    This permission allows a client to modify the Virtual Server Reserve slots amount which you can set from 0-server capacity, which is set in the virtual server.

b_client_use_reserved_slot
    This permission which enables a client to use a reserved slot.

Other things that are involved from what i have researched that people have mentioned are
    b_client_skip_channelgroup_permissions Ignore channel group permissions which people have said to set to skip

Any who, to my point I have a 25 slot server originally set to 23 and 2 reserve slots.

Right i have 6ish groups ranging from admin down to guest the idea was to have it so recruits/members/vanguards/officers and admin could join if the server reaches capacity, from that i have read reserved slots get treated as normal slots until needed.

Right so my highest tier group admin has
    Value is checked,
    skip is unchecked,
    negate unchecked,
    grant - 75

which tiers down to member having something like
    Value is checked,
    skip is unchecked,
    negate unchecked,
    grant - 45

With Officer values in between 45 -75.

Right what i want to know, seen as we have had a large influx of guests and randoms that are joining the server at regular intervals, these people are filling up the server which is not a problem just members+ should get prority. Hence reserve slots need to work correctly Guests and randoms do not have reserve slot access, to my understanding they wont be able to use the last 2 set reserve slots.

Yes i know members to admins can use the reserve slots i specified before but it doesn't seem to work the way i want it to.

Is it possible to get it to auto kick guests who do not have reserve access, when the server is full, but the issue is if 2 members join when we are maxed those reserve slots will be taken up by them which is fine but is there some sort of way if a 3 or more members want to join, when he joins it auto kicks a non reserve access client instead of refusing the connection because the reserve slots are taken up by members with reserve access.

I did read somewhere that reserve slots rotate to normal slots when they are freed up or someone without reserve access leaves.

If not is is possible, then then would this scenario work, using the grant value if its set correctly and setting all the slots in the server to reserve slots.

Value is checked,
    skip is unchecked,
    negate unchecked,
    grant - 45 - this option given to all clients which has a lower value presumably if higher ranking members join with a higher value and all the slots are taken it would kick the lowest value out of the server, please tell me if this is possible or are the permissions broken.

I want it so my members can join freely if server is full, meaning randoms get kicked before guests then recruits and so on and so forth.

Any clear explanation of the mechanics of this would be greatly appreciated, please dont just post just a permission telling me it will work if i set it to such and such.

Many thanks

In short no.

There have been many discussion concerning the "reserved slots". And the teamspeak developers have stated more then once they won't kick any user because of a server full situation.

If you have 25 slots (23 normal and 2 reserved) and there are 23 random guests than only two members (with the permission to use reserved slots) can connect... On my server the number of reserved slots is equal to the number of users who have the right to use reserved slots, so the situation that any of thoes users can't connect should never arise.

Thanks for clearing that up, right okay so what about the last scenario i mentioned where all 25 slots are set to reserve access only.

In which all groups would be set to have reserve access but the the higher ranks would have priority over the lower ranks.

For instance if
    guest is granted a reserve slot access with a value of 10
    admin is granted a reserve slot access with a value of 75

This in theory means that higher ranking member will get priority over the reserve slots, in which is should kick lower value granted groups, correct?

If this is not the case then that permission is broken and does not work the way it is described.

No, priority either. And your scenario also includes "a kick"... "Kick" is branded as evil and there will never ever be a "reserved slot" based kick function. So either get more slots or don't let guests freely on your server.

Think the devs are looking at it wrong there is nothing wrong with a kick, especially if the corporation is well organised. Basically the way it works against logic and teamspeak just want to make more money off licenses by forcing groups to have bigger servers because they dont want users to have better functionality over servers.

Think i will look for a different voice comms I have been with teamspeak along time, didnt think i would be put off by something like this.

Thanks for the help, clearly its just a corporate world as usual.

I, as an user, personally see it the same way. I don't want any one to be kicked from my server if it is full. There is a clear first come, first serve concept in place. The first come, first serve is even enhanced with reserved slots, so that you can make sure the a configurable amount of "VIPs" can still join even if all the normal slots are used.

Okay just one more thing if i set 15 slots to reserve and have 10 slots as free, if all members and admins are taking up the 10 normal slots doesn't that mean that clients without reserve access cannot use those last reserve slots 10-25 because they are set to reserve access?

If this is the case then as a server own i am shooting myself in the foot? It a ludicrous way of doing it.

If You Want Send Me a PM With Your Server Ip And I Will Help Test It With You When I Get Home...

Its okay i can test it with current members and guests. Thank you for the offer.

Due to teamspeaks corporate way this is not an issue our corp is willing to work without. Especially with the fact we are growing 40+ members.

I have already decided to migrate to a different comms Mumble is appealing to me seen as we have a free 10 slot server anyway and i can mod it the way i want seen as it is open source.

Plus its cheaper and alot cheaper, and form the reviews its on par with quality of ts3.

I agree there are some issues with the current free/reserved slot (FS/RS) system. Mainly being that if those with RS access connect while there are open FSs they fill one of them. Later if all the FSs are full and none of the RSs, but 3 of those in FSs have RS access noone without RS access can connect. I fully understand it can be a waste of slots if all of your members with RS access connected before those without and then those RS don't get used.

Maybe to avoid the kick path the server should have code added that if after a client connects into a FS if there are no more FSs left and there are open RSs it scans the permissions of those in the FSs for any with RS access, if one is found shift them to a RS so the FS is open for another user without RS access.
    Last edited by Screech; February 5th, 2014 at 09:46 PM.

Well,
    this thread begins to have "entity"
    but I'm affraid is like a 'remake'.

The 'original film' was this one (it reached 28 posts and was 'Rejected', it's a classic):
    http://forum.teamspeak.com/showthrea...t-functioning/

Yes its a remake because it is an issue, I had questions that were not answered in that previous thread reason why i was forced to make my own.

If ts dev's excuse is that they wont implement the feature because kicking is bad, then in my opinion being a client of tserverhq since 2011 I dont want to have it turned around on me, making me out be in the wrong when i clearly know the working of my own teamspeak group. If i need a reserve feature that auto kicks because not all admins can be on at all times to manually kick someone for a member which is ludicrous by the way because instead of putting an auto kick in you make it so admins have to personally kick someone with a message that could be automated [sorry you have been kicked for "reason"], whether its optional in the configuration or not.

If guests dont like it, do i care no. Because we "the members" pay for the damn server and its why i want it, my members get priority not people who are just using the ts that myself and my members pay for out the goodness of our hearts!

If guests dont want to get kicked from a server that is well organised they should
    A: Get their own and manage it
    B: Use the public servers

Renting a server is for exactly that reason to game with friends and yes some friends of friends but the ultimate priority please correct me if I am wrong is that the slots should and always go to friends. If ts devs cannot realise that then I am sorry I will be looking into alternatives that full fill my requirements.

I am very surprised they turned this feature down on that silly corporate excuse.

Please, do tell if you find any voice solution with your "auto kick guests"-feature, I personally don't think there is one. Because of the same reasons teamspeak doesn't implement such thing.

Quote Originally Posted by nukem266 View Post
    Yes its a remake because it is an issue, I had questions that were not answered in that previous thread reason why i was forced to make my own.
    Then I voted by Barungar's suggestion:
    Quote Originally Posted by Barungar View Post
    In my proposal the reserved slot users would use the reserved slots first and only fall back to normal slots if all reserved slots are in use, thus the chance of efficently using all available slots is much higher.
    It's a solution without kicking users and it optimizes the slots, something important in servers rented by slots; that's my case, that's I agree with Barungar.

Thread Information