Forum

[Suggestion] Default icons & OverWolf should be server-side

There should be an option to change the default icons (example in picture below) server-side so when the icons are edited, everybody should be able to see it. It shouldn't impact loading of the server since they're only 16x16. I noticed that the TeamSpeak 3 icons (the ones in the picture) are merged with the actual GUI of TeamSpeak. They should be separated to achieve being able to change the icons in my picture, server-side. As for the OverWolf part, I think we should be able to disabled the icon on clients server-side.

It's little features like these that a lot of people like.

You can set the icons for server and channel groups, client, channels and the server. Other icons like muted, away are client side and should be. I, and most others I would think, want those type of icons to be consistent across all of the servers I use, not varying from one server to the next.

So wait, which ones are server side? Would you know?

All Group Icons and the server & channel icons can be server side, any other icons are client side and will remain client side.
    When sending PMs please make sure to include a reference link to the thread in question in the body of your message.

So you're saying all the icons circled in the picture provided in this reply are able to be changed SERVER side so everybody sees them?

EDIT: Why is it such a big deal for the other icons? If you mean the ones on the tool bar, I totally understand that, but anything inside the white box which contains all the channels should be able to change. I really don't see why that would be a big deal or why not to do it.

Name:  ss (2014-02-11 at 11.22.15).png
Views: 2617
Size:  35.4 KB

DO those can't be changed by the server except the "shields" with the capital C and S, those two can be changed by the server. The others I suppose should all be changeable by the client. But the server can't dictate the clients theme...

Exactly. That's pretty lame, as the server owner should have free will over to choose which 16x16 icons he wants on his server instead of these nasty '04 looking things.

Quote Originally Posted by ErraticFox View Post
    Exactly. That's pretty lame, as the server owner should have free will over to choose which 16x16 icons he wants on his server instead of these nasty '04 looking things.
    That's right... therefor those icons are not on the server, they are on the client and so submitted to the free will of the client user to change his client theme if he likes. The server owner can't dictate the client how his (the client's) icons should look.

Quote Originally Posted by Barungar View Post
    The server owner can't dictate the client how his (the client's) icons should look.
    You realize how flawed that sounds? That's like saying a website or program owner can't dictate how the website or program looks to the people that are using the program or on the webpage because it's on their computer.

Teamspeak servers are licensed, that's not ownership.
    The owner, Teamspeak Systems, is very well able to dictate how the client looks.

Using a system of a certain brand includes promises.
    That the server "owner" cannot do whatever the hell he wants with the connected clients tends to be one of them.

If I own a webpage, I don't expect to be able to change Chrome's icon, Firefox theme or IE behaviour, do I.

If you want channels to have an icon, give them an icon.
    A tree view, however, is a ui element. Users may expect their ui to be consistent. Anything in there, really?
    So, a user connects to a server just to find out his mute icon is a banana and the server owner changed the "recording" icon to a white pixel?

Quote Originally Posted by ErraticFox View Post
    So you're saying all the icons circled in the picture provided in this reply are able to be changed SERVER side so everybody sees them?
    The ones on the right hand side can be changed by the server yes. The ones on the left hand side are UI Elements, which too can be changed just not server side.

Quote Originally Posted by Philosound View Post
    If you want channels to have an icon, give them an icon.
    A tree view, however, is a ui element. Users may expect their ui to be consistent. Anything in there, really?
    So, a user connects to a server just to find out his mute icon is a banana and the server owner changed the "recording" icon to a white pixel?
    That sums it up pretty nicely.

I'm pretty sure everyone that uses more than one server would be pissed (and rightfully so) if their client looked different for every damn server they connect to. So those Icons will never be able to be changed server side. There is really no point in arguing about that any further, it has been said time and time again that this won't change.
    If you want those icons changed, use a different theme, there are tons of user-made themes on the addons page so pick one or make your own. In fact if it is just the icons you're concerned about an icon pack would be sufficient. You can even nag your users to install yours by mentioning it in the welcome message but ultimately it's each users choice how they like their client to look.
    When sending PMs please make sure to include a reference link to the thread in question in the body of your message.

Thread Information