Forum

Question change server ip of second server

hi
    i want to open a second ts server on my own computer.
    i dont want a normal IP of the server but i want the name of my site as server adres. ( distinct hostname???)
    can someone tell me how to do this?

greetz, rens

To create a second server, you need an NPL. Normally, you cannot get an NPL if you are running TS3 on your computer, because it does not have a static IP.

Anyways. If your site and the server are running on the same machine, use an A record. If not, you must use an SRV record. The service is ts3, the protocol is udp (resulting in _ts3._udp.yourname.com), pointing to your IP and port. Creating those is different from ISP to ISP, so please contact your domain's ISP. Having SRV records point to dynamic IPs is not a good idea, because as far as I know, routers don't support automatically refreshing SRV records, but only A records. To use the latter instead, google for DynDNS or see your router's manual.

Quote Originally Posted by numma_cway View Post
    The service is ts3, the protocol is udp (resulting in _ts3._udp.yourname.com), pointing to your IP and port. Creating those is different from ISP to ISP, so please contact your domain's ISP. Having SRV records point to dynamic IPs is not a good idea, because as far as I know, routers don't support automatically refreshing SRV records, but only A records. To use the latter instead, google for DynDNS or see your router's manual.
    It is also against the RFC standard for SRV... the SRV must point to an A record, never directly to an IP address. Also not a CNAME just plainly an A record. Those errors (pointing to CNAME or IP address) might be the source of some people who have trouble with their SRV records. Because a DNS resolvers isn't required to accept an IP or a CNAME as target of a SRV record!

Well, then simply create an SRV record on your domain and have it point to your DynDNS.

That way should work better and is according to the standard, because it targets an A record, now.

thank you all for the reactions. ill look if i can do it that way :P

Thread Information