Forum

Notice to all users

We are migrating towards a new forum system located at community.teamspeak.com, as such this forum will become read-only on January 29, 2020

Thread: TSDNS question

TSDNS question

Hey,

Soon I plan on moving my TeamSpeak server to my new Dedi, while keeping my domain name pointed to my old server for other use. I was wondering if I setup a TSDNS query pointing my domain to my new Dedi IP if that would forward any connections from the old dedi to the new dedi.

Does anyone know if this would work?

Thanks,

Patrick

Actually, it will work, if you have control over the server behind the domain's A record. If you don't, you must create an SRV record named _tsdns._tcp.example.com pointing to your TSDNS servers DNS (you must not point SRV records to IPs). This has the advantage of not being tied to port. If you don't have multiple ports, please have SRV pointing directly to TS3 by creating the _ts3._udp.example.com domain.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick1164 View Post
    Hey,

Soon I plan on moving my TeamSpeak server to my new Dedi, while keeping my domain name pointed to my old server for other use. I was wondering if I setup a TSDNS query pointing my domain to my new Dedi IP if that would forward any connections from the old dedi to the new dedi.

Does anyone know if this would work?

Thanks,

Patrick

Don't use that piece of crap, neither set up any name resolution for it.
    Use DNS SRV records.

As I said, this won't work if you have more than one virtual server.

Not sure if my suggestions works.

You can use multiple domain names - in fact, you NEED to create a domain name per each virtual server (and you probably WANT to do that, for reasons other than technical).
    Then it is a trivial matter to set up DNS SRV records to point each to it's owvn virtual server.
    This have NO relation to the control of the server behind domain A record - all you need is access to DNS zone of your domain.
    You can check it on the example of sw.rootdir.org DNS setup. The domain zone is controlled by me, but I do not control the server.
    I've created the necessary records as a proof of concept to demonstrate the power of proper DNS configuration, illustrating
    1. The work of SRV RR themselves.
    2. Absence (as it turned out, almost REQUIRED absence, due to the bogus way TS3 client query DNS records) of A record for the TS3 server domain name that doesn't impede the server operation in any way.
    3. The fallback/reservation mechanism based solely on SRV records selection mechanics. (Coincidentally, the server have two IP, so this was very illustrative example, as well as functional.)

Man, I'm just saying that you CANNOT use plain SRV if you have multiple virtual servers that you want to move seemlessly to another server and those virtual servers don't have individual domains but only different ports. Then you MUST use TSDNS (if it can be run on the server behind the A record) or SRV-TSDNS.

Depends what you call "simple SRV".
    In case of SRV records, you DO need one per virtual server. That's how it works. TSDNS works the same, just with added headache of maintaining additional service on specific host, that may or may not be able to run it.
    If there's two choices equal in benefit, I pick one with less headache.
    Your call?

I might add... if there a two choices I prefer the open standard and not the proprietary solution.

Thread Information