Forum

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Self Join Groups permission

I believe the ability to differentiate between adding/removing anyone to/from a group and add/removing SELF to/from a group would be invaluable.

Ive come a cross of few times where this would help me set up some more complex systems on my own team-speak, as well as several others that I frequent.

I have also seen this posted for help in the forums by others who were told it is not currently possible.

In addition to
    i_group_member_add_power
    also have
    i_group_self_add_power
    or something to that effect.

I hope others would agree with me how useful this could be.

Would be a good thing to make things a little easier, but as long as it is not possible it maybe helps you what I explained in this post.

Me still doesnt see why this should be added.
    Mostly an user with proper permission will be online to grant groups or use a bot or request on website (through framework).
    Also, if an user has this "i_group_self_add_power" he would be able to grant himself any lower group too (server and channel),
    not only the selected one - like the original power.

Yes, it would require proper configuration. You would need to stagger the group's permissions to allow it to function without exploit. But if the join power needed was 1 on a group which only function was to provide an icon or subscribe to a whisper, it would be very useful.

For now i can set it up with the post offered by Istalantar, but it is inconvenient in cases where the changes to group are dynamic and not static.

Thanks for the workaround. I would love to see this implemented but that's up to the team-speak Gods.

I have already begged for this feature. It seems they do not want to add it. It is one of the last remaining features of my server that can be abused to annoy people. I am quick to jump on anyone doing it but still, if I could have my gaming server icons only be self-assignable/revokable it would prevent anyone adding millions of icons to someone, add, remove, add, remove, "Server group assigned", "Server group revoked", "Server group assigned". Drives people crazy if it happens. The only thing I could do is restrict that ability to top level section admins in my community server. That does not prevent it, it just makes trolling with server groups less likely because since almost everyone loves the server they do not want to risk getting "dealt" with and potentially lose their section.

It would all be so much easier for a b_group_self_assigned_only

We do not see any need for this. Either you can assign groups or you cannot. Don't give people you don't trust enough the ability to assign groups.
    When sending PMs please make sure to include a reference link to the thread in question in the body of your message.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    We do not see any need for this. Either you can assign groups or you cannot. Don't give people you don't trust enough the ability to assign groups.
    Man, I keep seeing these types of responded from the TeamSpeak Team, it both burns me up and sadness me.
    What is wrong with options???

Quote Originally Posted by Alcazar View Post
    Me still doesnt see why this should be added.
    Mostly an user with proper permission will be online to grant groups or use a bot or request on website (through framework).
    Also, if an user has this "i_group_self_add_power" he would be able to grant himself any lower group too (server and channel),
    not only the selected one - like the original power.

Alcazar, what is a teamspeak server is new, lacks a stable user base and there for is unable to have users on all the time to provider access to these permissions, and not everyone has a website.

Here is the issue I am faced with and where this addition to teamspeak would be useful.
    All guests on my server are allowed to poke people, but not everyone on the server wants to get poked.
    If there was a grant to self value I could add these permission without worry of other member granting it or removing it to other people.

-This would remove a need to give people we don't trust to assign specified groups to only themselves.

Of course there could be a client side option for turning off pokes.

This also would become handy when using bots that move users that go afk into the afk channel.
    The use case for this one, not every user of teamspeak has a mic, some are just there to listen and that is perfectly fine.
    Unfortunately, because they are just listening and not constantly interacting with the client (mic trigger), the user is believed to be afk and moved.

To get around this I was able to make a group that is not checked for status so those users are not hindered by the bot.
    It would be great if these users could grant that permission to themselves.

nice idea

I really like this idea...
    In my ts3 server i tried to put (no-poke) group and i wanted it to be assigned only by self not to others but i couldn't.... i have found some ideas here in the forums ... but this one will solve it in better way.

I don't see an issue here as it is already possible to create groups that users can join themselves. Just fiddle around with the group join power permissions.

Quote Originally Posted by ScP View Post
    I don't see an issue here as it is already possible to create groups that users can join themselves. Just fiddle around with the group join power permissions.
    The main problem of all those requests seem to be that they only have or fear to have evil users on their servers. Who will constantly plan mischief and only assign those groups to the annoyment of other users who don't want to be member of such a group.

I also don't see any use in a "self assign"... there is server query as a great and powerful api. If I'd really fear such a thing I'd write a bot who'll kick/ban every user who mischievously assigns groups withhin seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by Barungar View Post
    I also don't see any use in a "self assign"... there is server query as a great and powerful api. If I'd really fear such a thing I'd write a bot who'll kick/ban every user who mischievously assigns groups withhin seconds.
    I fully agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Barungar View Post
    The main problem of all those requests seem to be that they only have or fear to have evil users on their servers. Who will constantly plan mischief and only assign those groups to the annoyment of other users who don't want to be member of such a group.

I fully agree.
    The main problem you speak of is situational and the feature being suggested will add more options than to just humer
    the ‘evil users’ you speak of. But yes, it would eliminate the need to have to monitor users playing around with available permissions.

Its locking to door before you leave for work, why risk someone walking inside your house when you don’t have too?
    I figure writing a bot to check for users mising assigned permissions would be more work than the suggested feature.

These are things the general user should not have to go through.

Quote Originally Posted by coden1ke View Post
    Man, I keep seeing these types of responded from the TeamSpeak Team, it both burns me up and sadness me.
    What is wrong with options???
    You and I agree on this topic. It frustrates me but there is nothing I can do except give up asking. There is yet another thread in the permissions section talking about this very same thing. I think it is a case of the developers just not wanting to code anything that does not interest them. I could be wrong, but it seems like even when you have a great idea they can easily dismiss it as "we don't see any need for this" and then it gets canned. Not all the time, but many times. I suppose if everyone was asking they would feel the need but because it is not something that absolutely everyone is interested in they don't want to "waste" their time including the option for people who do want to use it.

But paradoxically, how many people do you know who use the temporary server password system? Yet it was added any way. It is all about either the developers personally finding something interesting or knowing everyone wants it, I think any way.

I fully agree.
    I don't, because who wants to learn a language to do something so simple? Not everyone can dedicate resources to leaving a machine on with a bot that they had to spend so much time learning how to make. That makes zero sense. If that logic was sound, why bother with a GUI at all? Just have server query to do everything or use API calls to do everything, write your own web based gui... The point is programs have a GUI for a reason. There is a reason why there is serverquery commands AND a GUI with clickable things. Not everyone is a programmer.

As said via PM to some users, this "option" would mainly apply for Public Servers.
    Me doesnt know any regular server where users are allowed to give themselves groups.
    And if me would host a public, me dont want do give Hinz und Kunz (or as you say in english Tom, Dick and Harry) access to it or its groups.

Me is not associated with TeamSpeak Systems GmbH, but if they decide to add this or remove that its their right. Its like any other corporation, they may accept user input, but decide on their own what to put in their code.

Also folks, show me one software that uses authentication/permissions which allows an user to define WHOM he gives groups or permissions (would be really interested in). Usually you can define WHAT groups or permissions an user may give, but not to whom.

Quote Originally Posted by Alcazar View Post
    Me doesnt know any regular server where users are allowed to give themselves groups.
    Maybe it's a way users can select icons themselves, icons assigned to groups, in this case servergroups.

Thread Information