Forum

Notice to all users

We are migrating towards a new forum system located at community.teamspeak.com, as such this forum will become read-only on January 29, 2020

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Preventing a stickied person creating channels

If someone has b_client_is_sticky assigned to them, whether from a channel or a group, the person cannot create channels of any kind. Sticky should not prevent the creation of channels other than Temporary, since temporary channels would move the user to the channel. No other type moves the user out and thus should not block the user from creating channels.

This is no bug.
    The permission b_client_is_sticky sticks a client to current channel.
    Also prohibits to leave the channel while creating a new temporary channel.

Could you stop please using the exclamation mark for every bugreport?
    This is for critical threads and we have to modify this every time.
    When sending me private messages: Please make sure to include reference link to your forum thread or post.

TeamSpeak FAQ || What should i report, when i open a client thread?

I already said the exact same thing. The problem is it happens and blocks you from creating other types like permanent. It should only block you for creating temporary channels.

Quote Originally Posted by Morthawt View Post
    I already said the exact same thing. The problem is it happens and blocks you from creating other types like permanent. It should only block you for creating temporary channels.
    Why should a user want to create any channel if he can't leave the one he is in?!

Well I have a channel where I have a hidden identity that sits idle in the server so that I have full power and am unable to join any other channel so I cannot accidentally bypass people's security on channels since I have the skip flag enabled on that identity. I was trying to create channels via that and I was unable to.

Have you tried to set join_power to 0 for your secret, hidden admin?! That should also work.

With skip, join power is meaningless. You can come and go anywhere. The only way to prevent it is to be stickied.

Just remove, that you can enter channels without knowing the password (as a client permission). So you don't break their privacy (not security).
    The use of sticky is not , what we have in mind for that feature.

This is a special configuration that you use here and i don't understand how you can join accedently to a channel you don't wan't to join.
    When sending me private messages: Please make sure to include reference link to your forum thread or post.

My guys mostly use permission powers rather than passwords. I try and maximize my use of TS functionality, so I come across all sorts of strange occurrences with TS. Like this sticky function, I can have skip enabled on my identity and know full well that I can never enter anyone's channels under any circumstances on that particular ID, yet I can now see into all channels regardless of what channel groups I have been assigned in them.
    Last edited by Morthawt; March 23rd, 2014 at 10:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Morthawt View Post
    With skip, join power is meaningless. You can come and go anywhere. The only way to prevent it is to be stickied.
    Is you set join_power user-based to 0... Why would skip change that?

b_client_skip_channelgroup_permissions

With this, it does not matter how much join power you have or not. Hence my requirement for a method of being prevented from moving to other channels to ensure I do not accidentally try and join someone's "secure" channel and then have to explain how I told them it would be secure so that nobody else could enter it. Privacy and security are important to me. So, I take the logical option and sticky that identity into the current channel so that even though I have this skip permission I still cannot enter any other channels, thus preserving my goal of giving people privacy.

I don't have a teamspeak client at hand to test it... but in my scenario any server or channel group is irrelevant. Because I had suggested to set the user's join power to 0 (and of course select negate), not the join power of any channel or server group. So why should "b_client_skip_channelgroup..." take any effect?

It must be a value of -1 as a client permission.
    You will recieve that error then
    <14:09:03> insufficient client permissions (failed on i_channel_join_power)

The value of 0 is like you don't have that permission set and you still can join any channel.

Quote Originally Posted by dante696 View Post
    The value of 0 is like you don't have that permission set and you still can join any channel.
    I doubt that... Morthawt spoke of channels secured by join power... so to my mind that should be a channel with needed join power > 0 ... if I in such a situation have join power 0 ... I strongly hope that a join would be impossible.

Quote Originally Posted by Barungar View Post
    I doubt that... Morthawt spoke of channels secured by join power... so to my mind that should be a channel with needed join power > 0 ... if I in such a situation have join power 0 ... I strongly hope that a join would be impossible.
    You are correct. I think there is some misunderstanding going on.

Many of my groups use passwords but most secure their channels using join powers and assigning channel group "ranks" to their guys. So if I have b_client_skip_channelgroup_permissions enabled on myself this means I can essentially wander into any channel and get in without needing permission, which is bad. I tell all the groups and I have info channels that explain that if you secure your channels with a password or with permissions nobody, not even my global staff or even myself as the owner can enter your channels without your permission. I explain that we can see inside all community channels but we cannot enter them if they have been secured. So, given this fact, I have been given "Friend" channel group in some people's sections which unfortunately renders my ability to see stunted along with every non-global server admin in the server. So to prevent this I assign on a new identity or on a group I can put on my true identity the b_client_skip_channelgroup_permissions permission so that I can toggle the eye a couple of times and see into all channels. The issue is sometimes I am distracted and forget to remove that additional server group and could end up wandering into someone's channel, considering that I will double click on it to see if I can get in and if not I will send messages to people. Well with that server group I would get in regardless of the permission requirements. So my simple option is to sticky myself so that I am completely unable to join any other channel until I remove that server group.

Now, hopefully having cleared every little details up. My problem is when I am in this "all seeing" mode of operation I would like to be able to create channels as usual without having to keep toggling server groups. But when ever I try and make a permanent or semi-permanent channel (which does not even attempt to move you out of your current channel after the new one's creation) it fails to create the channel citing the fact you are stickied. Being sticky should have no impact on creating permanent channels because their creation does not move you out of your current channel. Hence my opinion that this is a bug.

Edit:

If I tried to edit a channel and received a permission error about talk power, that would be a bug, just the same with trying to create a permanent channel and having a permission error about being sticky. It is irrelevant.
    Last edited by Morthawt; March 24th, 2014 at 02:23 PM.

Thread Information