Forum

Don't understand the permission system

Hello !

I don't understand at all how permissions work's !
    There a way to understand or software that made ​​things easier ?
    I try to make really specific rights ?

Thanks in advance !
    Last edited by dante696; March 25th, 2014 at 01:21 PM. Reason: changed thread title to it's content

Sorry, but we can not help you to explain the whole permission system. > If that is the question here.
    http://www.teamspeak.com/media_repos...20Guide_01.pdf
    http://forum.teamspeak.com/showthrea...sues-Questions

Better don't play with permissions on your rented server, before you have tried that with a local server on your computer.
    It's the best way to learn how to handle the permission system.
    When sending me private messages: Please make sure to include reference link to your forum thread or post.

TeamSpeak FAQ || What should i report, when i open a client thread?

Quote Originally Posted by 100dek View Post
    Hello !

I don't understand at all how permissions work's !
    There a way to understand or software that made ​​things easier ?
    I try to make really specific rights ?

Thanks in advance !
    One of the best ways is to watch someone else do it and explain during the process. I will link you to three video tutorials relating to permissions that explain and give you understanding of it all. The first one shows how you can set up new admin server groups in a way that you can give people as much power as you want yet they cannot hijack the server. The second link shows you how to set up channel groups to be able to give people powers in sections of channels where they inherit the group through all their channels yet they cannot use their powers in other people's channels. The third video explains the importance of getting your permissions set correctly and shows you a few of some of the possible consequences if you have incorrectly set your permissions up. It also shows you how to detect if something suspicious has been done and how to actually set your permissions to prevent the demonstrated issues from becoming a reality on your server.

First video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDzk2KbYcVk&hd=1

Second video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgSRvimkkHw&hd=1

Third video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KK97U0dQZkQ&hd=1

Good luck with learning permissions. You can always ask on the forum here about specific things you do not understand and people will do their best to help you grasp something. However people cannot really explain the entire permissions system to you on a forum though, so I hope you have some luck with those videos. Let us know how you get on.

Quote Originally Posted by Morthawt View Post
    One of the best ways is to watch someone else do it and explain during the process. I will link you to three video tutorials relating to permissions that explain and give you understanding of it all. The first one shows how you can set up new admin server groups in a way that you can give people as much power as you want yet they cannot hijack the server. The second link shows you how to set up channel groups to be able to give people powers in sections of channels where they inherit the group through all their channels yet they cannot use their powers in other people's channels. The third video explains the importance of getting your permissions set correctly and shows you a few of some of the possible consequences if you have incorrectly set your permissions up. It also shows you how to detect if something suspicious has been done and how to actually set your permissions to prevent the demonstrated issues from becoming a reality on your server.

First video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDzk2KbYcVk&hd=1

Second video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgSRvimkkHw&hd=1

Third video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KK97U0dQZkQ&hd=1

Good luck with learning permissions. You can always ask on the forum here about specific things you do not understand and people will do their best to help you grasp something. However people cannot really explain the entire permissions system to you on a forum though, so I hope you have some luck with those videos. Let us know how you get on.
    Many thanks !
    edit : i cant edit value grant 75 ...
    Last edited by 100dek; March 26th, 2014 at 10:31 AM.

There are many permissions, especially to do with the global section, that are not editable. Which permission are you trying to modify the grant value on?

Also, if you remove a grant value by mistake it will not let you put it back on if you are editing a server group that gives you all of your power.

I don't understand the permission system

The permission system for TS3 is confusing, unfriendly and more difficult to grasp than astrophysics. I am willing to pay someone to figure out how to set up the permissions on my server because it is absolute garbage trying to get it to work. This is absurd.. period.
    Last edited by dante696; April 4th, 2014 at 08:09 AM. Reason: merged

What's your problem with default permissions?

None of the guest users could access the channels that we created for guests. Then the users we granted Verified (Normal) access privileges to could not access the tier 2 channels we created for them. I tried another suggestion which was to change the join permissions for all the guest channels to -100 and the join power for the guests to match. I changed the tier 2 channels to a join power 40 and none of the Verified users could see or even get into those channels. In all I created a hot mess and ended up deleting everything and back to square one trying to figure out what to do next.

With default permissions, guests can enter all channels. I personally would try if it really gets out of hand with only the default permissions and nothing configured.

Here is my problem.. the Guest server group has the i_channel_join_power = 20. The Verified by Admin users has the i_channel_join_power = 40. There are a number of channels that were created so that only the Verified group could access these and when I assign the Verified group to a user they cannot join those channels.

In the example below the channel has a value of 30 to join so the Verified by Admin user server group with the i_channel_join_power = 40 should be able to join?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Channel Permissions.png 
Views:	101 
Size:	27.7 KB 
ID:	10316

Name:	Verified Perm.png 
Views:	80 
Size:	20.0 KB 
ID:	10317

Name:	Channel Perm (2).png 
Views:	91 
Size:	21.0 KB 
ID:	10318

Name:	WL Perms.png 
Views:	115 
Size:	43.7 KB 
ID:	10319

When the user tries to connect they get the error insufficient client permissions (failed on i_channel_join_power).

Aside from that the Channel group created for those verified users also has the same value of 40 assigned so we are handing out both at the same time.

I am not sure what is going at this point so at a loss what to do next?

Thanks for your help.

Thread Information