Forum

Offsite backup vs non profit license

Hi guys,

I have been hosting Teamspeak servers for several years now.
    and after those years i have noticed one lack in my set up, off-site backups.

My ISP had some problems 2 weeks ago which resulted in me having no internet connection for 3 days.

Because of this the off-site backup has become a neccesity (to prevent a lot of phone calls and messages of the server being down and people wanting updates.).

I am working with a Board member to set this up but one question still remains: what about the license?
    Because i host multiple clan Teamspeaks (without profit) i have a non-profit license.
    unfortunatly it doesn't state if i am allowed to have an off-site backup which can be activated once the main server location is down (meaning i switch IP adresses on which the server is running).

So my question is, what would happen to my license if i implement the off-site backup and is activated when needed?
    Will this violate the license agreement?

I hope to hear from someone soon.
    With kind regards
    Striker

Backup servers are a violation of the NPLs that are bound to an IP. This has been discussed here lately, but I don't have the link handy.

Quote Originally Posted by numma_cway View Post
    Backup servers are a violation of the NPLs that are bound to an IP. This has been discussed here lately, but I don't have the link handy.
    Hi Numma,

The reason i'm asking is because of the following quote from the license agreement:

"The individual or organization may host up to 512 slots using a maximum of 10 Virtual Servers for their entire operation. Any combination of slots or Virtual Servers over multiple physical machines is allowed, as long as the individual or organization does not exceed 512 slots or 10 Virtual Servers. This is also enforced by the license key which is issued after the registration and approval process has been completed." Chapter 5.2

According to that statement it should be fine, but since there is no mention of access through IP adresses i would like to double check (the clients are bound to the DNS name so from their end the IP adress will be a non issue, i will never exceed the slots and servers that way as long as they are not both active at the same time)

Quote Originally Posted by striker_lord View Post
    Because i host multiple clan Teamspeaks (without profit) i have a non-profit license.
    This is rather a violation. Since the NPL changes from autumn 2012 no more sponsoring allowed with the NPL. You can use it only for your clan/organization.

Thread Information