Forum

Notice to all users

We are migrating towards a new forum system located at community.teamspeak.com, as such this forum will become read-only on January 29, 2020

I'm the admin, yet I don't have full permissions

I've been running this server since ts first came out, and so obviously I've gone through several upgrades since then. I know the current version is 3.0.10.3 and I will update soon enough but I'm just wondering if maybe somewhere along the lines an upgrade was botched slightly and that's why I have some permission oddities?

Anyway, until now,I never attempted to change any of the permissions. Finally getting tired of the randoms joining, as well as any guest being able to move people to and from any channel and kick. I can't even believe that was default settings.

I tried using YaTQA and noticed under statistics>Details>General Information
    The Server version is 3.0.10.1
    Database Version 21
    Permission Version 19

should the db and perm versions match?

I can I login to server query fine. But generally I cant seem to do much.
    login admin pass
    error id=0 msg=ok

something as simple as serverinfo results in
    error id=2568 msg=insufficient\sclient\spermissions failed_permid=13

Okay fine... so I go to server group permissions, choose Admin Server Query and search for template. I see ServerQuery Edit virtual server template is grayed out so I tick the box in value close and I can then type serverinfo into server query and it will spill out the details

Isn't Admin Server Query supposed to be the most elevated user?

But at the same time, even though I can grant admin server query group that permission, I am unable to alter the value/grant of
    Channel>Channel Permission Modify Power because "insufficient permission modify power".

I have full ssh on this server so if need I could download the sqlitedb and make changes there.
    Overall I do have a pretty basic channel setup. So it would probably be easier to just start from scratch. But I usually prefer figuring out whats wrong instead and fixing it.

Is there possibly any script I could run that would kind of do a rest on permissions and fix even if it is sqlite based...

Did you log in as the user named "serveradmin"? If not, do it. If so, you destroyed your server.

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
    Finally getting tired of the randoms joining, as well as any guest being able to move people to and from any channel and kick. I can't even believe that was default settings.
    Those are not default settings, at least it wasn't last time I checked and it also wasn't the default way back when.

should the db and perm versions match?
    No they shouldn't, those information are of no relevance 99.9% of the time.

Isn't Admin Server Query supposed to be the most elevated user?
    It is the most elevated user, however being able to do everything doesn't mean you should do it. ASQ has the ability to reduce or revoke its own permissions, which seems to be what you've done. Now after you've done that there is no way to get those permissions back because you are no longer allowed to change them after you revoked yourself the permission to change it.
    It's equivalent to jumping out of a 10th story window... just because you can doesn't necessarily mean it's wise to do so.

Is there possibly any script I could run that would kind of do a rest on permissions and fix even if it is sqlite based...
    Your last resort is the command "permreset" on the query interface after you've logged in. If that fails with an error, you successfully jumped out of a 10th story window and hit concrete and will have to start from scratch with a new server and new database.
    When sending PMs please make sure to include a reference link to the thread in question in the body of your message.

Well maybe I was hacked, because this is how it's pretty much always been for me as far as I can remember. I've never managed the permissions before because when it first came out I was really intimidated by commandline. And only recently learned about the advanced permission checkbox.

I understand best practices and how you shouldn't use root as a system user etc. But concerning my question about SQ being the most elevated user was just to state that certainly a harmless command such as serverinfo should be available to even virtually any SQ user, much less obviously than the serveradmin user.

Anyway, I can login with serveradmin user, but I was not using serveradmin when I first posted.
    I realize the risk if there is an error, my server will be deleted. But at this point, I'd probably have started over anyway if it didnt work.

However I don't know the syntax. The manual simply says permreset but when I tried it gave me this error

error id=1024 msg=invalid\sserverID

would it be permreset sserverID=1 ?

no you first have to select the server you want to manage by issuing the "use" command.
    When sending PMs please make sure to include a reference link to the thread in question in the body of your message.

Well, I used permreset but users are still able to kick and move other users.

Congratulations, you screwed your permission template. Run a clean server and save the 7 permission templates with YaTQA (at least 2.0-pre2). After that, overwrite your permission group templates on your actual server. Now do another perm reset or overwrite your actual groups too.

Thread Information