Forum

Notice to all users

We are migrating towards a new forum system located at community.teamspeak.com, as such this forum will become read-only on January 29, 2020

Running TS3 as service on Windows 2008R2 64 bit

Hi,

Ive seem to have run into a wall with this. I need TS3 server to run as service, im using a shared server so it might reboot withouth my notice.
    I know the actual binary isnt service compatible, and I tried Ts3 service wrapper and looked at http://addons.teamspeak.com/director...r-2008-r2.html.

Ts3 Service Wrapper seems to endlesly try to start Ts3 server withouth succes, and the 2nd one seems to have a mismatch with dependencies. I tried to solve it using the forum posts that exist about them but nothing seems to work. Using task scheduler doesn't seem to work either.

Now my question is: Is there a way to run TS3 server as a service withouth paying for some rediculous monthly fee? I'm willing to pay a 1 time fee for a 3rd party program if needed. But i'd rather have a free solution. Any workaround is also fine, as long as I don't have to log into the server for it to start.

I looked at older posts about this, but I ended up at those 3 solutions(wich do not work) or got redirected to site's that do not exist anymore.

Im using Windows Server 2008R2 SP1 x64 with 64 bit Ts3 server.

Do you have Administrator access on the server? If so, download & install the Windows Server 2003 Resource Kit Tools (ignore the server version, I've used these tools on WS 2003 & WS 2012), I've included a link below but that page seems very flaky at the moment.

Read the help files a few times so you understand the syntax of the commands you need to type in & the registry settings you need to add. The two programs needed to create the service are instsrv.exe & srvany.exe.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downl....aspx?id=17657
    Last edited by Air SeaTac; April 24th, 2014 at 07:40 PM. Reason: Changed URL & more info

Quote Originally Posted by Air SeaTac View Post
    Do you have Administrator access on the server? If so, download & install the Windows Server 2003 Resource Kit Tools (ignore the server version, I've used these tools on WS 2003 & WS 2012), I've included a link below but that page seems very flaky at the moment.

Read the help files a few times so you understand the syntax of the commands you need to type in & the registry settings you need to add. The two programs needed to create the service are instsrv.exe & srvany.exe.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downl....aspx?id=17657
    I do have complete access, I'll give it a try tonight and post how it goes.

I am having trouble connecting to my guild's teamspeak3 server. I type in the correct server name and there is no password for it. I have windows8 OS on my computer along with Norton 360. I have typed and retyped this server name multiple times, and even went into my windows security to allow it access and am still getting the same error message. the error message is: Failed to connect to server: could not resolve hostname.

Quote Originally Posted by Ameiru View Post
    I am having trouble connecting to my guild's teamspeak3 server. I type in the correct server name and there is no password for it. I have windows8 OS on my computer along with Norton 360. I have typed and retyped this server name multiple times, and even went into my windows security to allow it access and am still getting the same error message. the error message is: Failed to connect to server: could not resolve hostname.
    Are you having trouble running Teamspeak as a service? Please start your own thread, your problem has nothing to do with this one

Going back to the original problem...

I used the official microsoft docs to get instsrv.exe & srvany.exe to work with no succes for teamspeak.
    However, I did find a solution by accident trying to troubleshoot the problem.

I used RunAsSvc wich does the same thing as instsrv.exe & srvany.exe only easier. It also worked the first time around.
    For anyone looking for a solution to run as service, link at the bottem.

Thank you for the help Air SeaTac wouldnt have found it withouth you .

http://www.pirmasoft.de/cms/freeware/runassvc

The main problem of SrvAny is that it TERMINATES the app it run as service, when it get a request to stop.
    Worth a check of documentation for any other service wrapper you might find, for the same issues.
    Last edited by ANR Daemon; April 25th, 2014 at 05:02 PM.

I know when I was running Teamspeak 2 on Windows I used FireDaemon.

Just found the notes I made for a recent migration I had to do, might help someone -

This is the command I used to create the service -

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Resource Kits\Tools\instsrv.exe" "TeamSpeak 3" "C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Resource Kits\Tools\srvany.exe"

In regedit drill down to

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\TeamSpeak 3

From there create a Key called 'Parameters'

In the 'Parameters' section create two new String Values, AppDirectory & Application

Give AppDirectory a value of C:\Program Files\teamspeak3-server_win64

Give Application a value of C:\Program Files\teamspeak3-server_win64\ts3server_win64.exe inifile=ts3server.ini

Adjust the above as necessary for your own installation etc.

Has worked like a charm since the Teamspeak 3 Beta

1. There's a separate registry value for giving parameters to application.
    2. Specify a full path for TS3 ini file.
    3. Still doesn't change the fact SrvAny does not allow for graceful shutdown of wrapped application.

Thread Information