Forum

Notice to all users

We are migrating towards a new forum system located at community.teamspeak.com, as such this forum will become read-only on January 29, 2020

TS3 server on subdomain & update

Hi guys,

I recently installed a TS3 server on my 64bit CentOS VPS.
    ( Thanks to this thread it helped me a lot! http://forum.teamspeak.com/showthrea...-Server-CentOS )

After I installed it everything went fine. Now when I connect the server I see that the server is out of date so I was wondering how do I update the server?
    Name:  HkmiQnP.png
Views: 520
Size:  9.8 KB

And another question is how do I configure that you can only connect the teamspeak server trough ts.example.com

Because now I have around 20 domains and whatever you type in (as long as the domain is correct) you get connected to the teamspeak server. I already modified tsdns_settings.ini.sample and renamed it to tsdns_settings.ini and added this to the bottom: ts.example.com=1.2.3.4

Quote Originally Posted by gamer12345 View Post
    Hi guys,

I recently installed a TS3 server on my 64bit CentOS VPS.
    ( Thanks to this thread it helped me a lot! http://forum.teamspeak.com/showthrea...-Server-CentOS )

After I installed it everything went fine. Now when I connect the server I see that the server is out of date so I was wondering how do I update the server?
    Name:  HkmiQnP.png
Views: 520
Size:  9.8 KB
    Read the instructions included with the server download.

And another question is how do I configure that you can only connect the teamspeak server trough ts.example.com

Because now I have around 20 domains and whatever you type in (as long as the domain is correct) you get connected to the teamspeak server. I already modified tsdns_settings.ini.sample and renamed it to tsdns_settings.ini and added this to the bottom: ts.example.com=1.2.3.4
    This is pretty complicated. TSDNS can be set to answer 404 by default. However, why the hell would people try to connect to random domains? Who in this world does that?

You don't need to use TSDNS in first place.
    The reason people able to connect is that TS3 connect to default port if it failing to see other options.
    The solution is quite simple, though.

First, change the port of your voice server to something other than standard one. Let's say, 9988. Make sure the changed IP:port combination works.

Now, add the following records to the zone file for your domain:

Code:
    _ts3._udp.example.com. IN SRV 1 0 9988 ts.example.com.
    ts.example.com. IN A the.desired.ip.address
    ...and shutdown TSDNS.

Now, your clients should be able to enter "example.com" as TS server address, and connect to the server just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by numma_cway View Post
    This is pretty complicated. TSDNS can be set to answer 404 by default. However, why the hell would people try to connect to random domains? Who in this world does that?
    It is actually very easy. If you don't take the request literal.
    Last edited by ANR Daemon; April 27th, 2014 at 08:53 PM.

Changing the port and resolving via SRV is indeed very easy. Still, I cannot imagine a situation in which people would try random domains to find TS3 servers...

Because they can. You can't estimate idiot's actions with reason in mind.

But aside from random people randomly trying random... khmm... There's a reason to move voice server away from default port, if you want people connecting to different domains to end in different VS.

Thread Information