Forum

Temporary Granting/Revoking Talking Abilities

Hello.
    I am an admin of a server and I have been messing around with trying to temporarily revoke talking powers to "normals" in my server. Someones some of the members of my server get out of hand and I think temporarily muting them would be a useful tool to get them to cooperate. Is there anyway I could just right click on their name in the client and revoke their talking powers, and be able to grant them their powers again?

Not without use of another group. Easiest way I can think is make a new, or copy an existing, server group. In the new server group set the i_client_talk_power to -1 and set the skip and negate checkboxes. Negate reduces talk power from other server groups and the skip prevents channel groups from overriding it too. Make sure the server group is not permanent, or you'll have to remember to remove it, and to set the appropriate needed memeber add and remove permissions based on who should be able to add/remove people from said group.

While someone is in this group they can request talk power and you can easily grant and revoke talk power. If they disconnect they are auto removed as long as the group is temp as suggested. And if they do behave you can also simply remove the server group. If you have issues with users you put in this group rejoining to remove and still be a problem, make another copy of the group only set it as a permanent group. Only way out then is for someone with the required member remove permissions to do so, or the user really start trolling with multiple UIDs..... but you know there are more things that can be done then too.

Or you can use channel groups instead of the server groups, as this gives more flexibility in that the ability to talk is controlled per-channel rather than for all channels if you would prefer, or like Screech suggested you can use server groups if you want to globally control their ability to talk.

Only reason I suggested a server group instead of a channel group is that if the user was a member of an elevated channel group you have to remember to return that group or they will be guest on reconnect.

Thread Information