Forum

Question Cannot connect to server in DMZ

Hi folks. I have the latest version of TS server running on my x64 Win 7 Ultimate machine with the local IP in a DMZ.

I decided to do a DMZ since it'd be a bit easier than having to forward ports.

However, with the local IP in the DMZ, I can only connect locally. My public IP and hostname (ts.thephishtank.com) doesn't connect. My hostname resolves to my public IP correctly, so I know that's configured fine.

When I forward the default ports for the server's IP (as listed in a previous forum post) instead of placing it in a DMZ, it works fine.

I have Verizon FiOS with the newest Actiontec Wireless-N router. I'm pretty familiar with the backend interface, but I'm not sure as to why port forwarding works, and a DMZ does not.

Anyone have an idea? I'm willing to try anything. I have an intermediate computer background, so I'll be able to mostly understand and troubleshoot however you'd suggest.

Thanks in advance!

<03:49:31> Trying to resolve hostname ts.thephishtank.com
    <03:49:35> Trying to connect to server on ts.thephishtank.com
    <03:49:38> Connected to Server: "The Phish Tank"

Usually, you can not connect to your WAN IP from inside of your local network.

Quote Originally Posted by ANR Daemon View Post
    <03:49:31> Trying to resolve hostname ts.thephishtank.com
    <03:49:35> Trying to connect to server on ts.thephishtank.com
    <03:49:38> Connected to Server: "The Phish Tank"

Usually, you can not connect to your WAN IP from inside of your local network.
    Ah, okay. I just forwarded the ports so it would work for now. I'm going to remove the forwarded ports from the router's firewall and put the server back in a DMZ. Let me know if you can still connect!

EDIT: I was connected while I removed the ports and switched to DMZ, it disconnected me from the client, but I was able to reconnect by using my local IP

EDIT EDIT: I tethered wirelessly with my phone (outside my LAN) and was able to connect via my hostname! Thanks guys!

It is a very bad idea to use DMZ if you are not used to networking. It's very dangerous out there in the interwebz without NAT.

Thread Information