Forum

Notice to all users

We are migrating towards a new forum system located at community.teamspeak.com, as such this forum will become read-only on January 29, 2020

Better Permissions Setup.

I have been combing through these forums for about a week or so trying to find information on how this can be done. To no avail however. A lot of people use TeamSpeak 3 for gaming guilds and communities. Through a long stretched stressful and very time consuming process people claim this can be done yet the system in current for this is a sketchy at best. To make this less confusing I provide thee an example of what I'm referring.

A channel structure for a gaming community

WoW
    -group1
    -group2

LoL
    -group1
    -group2

GW2
    -group1
    -group2

-----

(If you aren't a gaming these won't make much sense to you. Sorry.)

Above are 3 main channels with respective sub-channels. Most guilds or communities would prefer to keep those users out of channels they aren't gaming in. For example. If you have a group of people playing WoW. They shouldn't have access to the LoL or GW2 channels. This also means the LoL and GW2 users shouldn't have access to the WoW channels.

A lot of people say this can be done through what seems to be a cryptic setup of permissions for joining and so forth. However this leaves the problem of users with higher join permissions being able to join the other groups.

Setting each user manually is a hassle no one wants to have to go through especially if they have to do it each time a user joins or leaves the channel.

An idea to allow this type of functionality would be to modify or even add a permission setup so that people in channel groups can join only the channels they are designated to join. Channel group WoW for the WoW channels and so forth.

Similar to the way the channel permissions scheme is setup only allow a list of channel groups to join those channels instead of messing with join powers and permissions through a complicated scheme of goofy crap.

I can provide further explanation on exactly how I have this thought out in my head if requested. Won't add it right now because this thread is already too long. :P

Please give this consideration as this would be a huge help in properly structuring a community base for TeamSpeak 3.

I appreciate any feedback and will reply with any questions or requests.

Thanks you.

• Channel groups? (Why would you name a channel group WoW?)
    • Passwords?
    • Banning kids who cannot behave?

This is already possible with a single channel group and a few basic permissions, and has been explained in these forums countless times. Nothing that needs changing.
    When sending PMs please make sure to include a reference link to the thread in question in the body of your message.

Already Possibly?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    This is already possible with a single channel group and a few basic permissions, and has been explained in these forums countless times. Nothing that needs changing.
    I have read these so called solutions and it is not at all a solution. The way these are explained they require each user to be setup with custom permissions through the client permissions scheme. That is a time consuming hassle that large clans and communities are not willing to go through. Other so called solutions specify methods through channel groups that have higher join privileges allow users to join channels that they shouldn't have access to. I have searched for the solution for a solid week and come up with the same results.

I hope I'm not coming off as rude as that is not my intention. If this has already been achieved I would love to be corrected.

The method I'm referring is a method of a channel or server group that provides join access to certain channels. I cover multitude of games that needs to keep its members separate.

Thus far ventrilo is the only application that allows these methods. However I consider ventrilo a very lacking application for what TeamSpeak 3 can do and TeamSpeak 3 lacking the only feature that we(everyone who runs communities such as this) need.

I appreciate your response.

numma_cway
    • Channel groups? (Why would you name a channel group WoW?)
    • Passwords?
    • Banning kids who cannot behave?
    • Yes, channel groups. It's a much cleaner method than having to set custom permissions per user. And I would call it WoW for World of Warcraft users that belong in that genre.
    • Passwords are not a viable option as I believe that entering a password to get into a channel each and every time is just moments wasted for our users.
    • Banning misbehaving users is something that that the moderators could take care of but defeats the purpose of the initial request.

Like any business or community we want to make sure our members go through the least amount of hassle possible. When it comes down to it, it is the consumer that makes a business or community succeed. If the consumer isn't happy then what reason do they have to continue with the product or group they are with. I'm simply trying to adapt to the needs of my community to ensure they remain happy.

You don't understand at all what channel groups are meant for. Simply remove join power or join permanent permission from Server Guest and add it to a channel group. Channel groups are not meant to be created for every channel. A good channel group name in your case would be "plays this game" or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Un0rThOd0x View Post
    Passwords are not a viable option as I believe that entering a password to get into a channel each and every time is just moments wasted for our users.
    You believe wrong.

As mentioned by numma and myself, you only need a single channel group for your needs.
    Assume that Client W plays WoW and Client L plays LoL, now you give both clients the same channel group, the difference is that you give W the channel group in the WoW channel(s), while L gets the channel group in the LoL channel(s).
    They both have the same group, only difference is they have it in different channels. So while Client L can do whatever the channel group allows him to do in his LoL Area, he won't be able to do anything in the WoW Area, not even join it. Client W on the other hand can do whatever he is allowed to in the WoW channels, but can't do anything in the LoL area.
    It's the same group, but it isn't "bound to" anything. It just takes effect where ever people have that group and only for those people that have it (if that makes any sense to you).
    Now if two clients play multiple games all you have to do is assign them the same channel group in every main channel of the games he is playing. So say you had a client Y in above example that plays CS and LoL, you would simply give him the channel group in both the LoL Area and the CS area. He can now enter both and do stuff in both, but won't be able to enter the WoW area.

It's really that simple. No need to mess around with client permissions or even client channel permissions and duplicate the same thing over and over.
    When sending PMs please make sure to include a reference link to the thread in question in the body of your message.

After some testing I see that this works as you both had stated surprisingly enough. My apologies. It would indeed be redundant to create multiple channel groups. Fantastic! I just need to remove b_channel_join_permanent from the guest channel and server groups, create a new channel group and give it the b_channel_join_permanent and b_group_is_permanent, drag the user to the channels I want them to have access to and apply the channel group. Fantastical.

Anything with the server group is going to be server wide so I don't need to apply anything else to the channel group. Just add it to the server group. This would also apply to moderators for those specific channels if I'm not mistaken. Just apply a the same settings to the channel group with moderator powers.

If doing this would the moderator have the ability to kick/effect users outside the channel he/she is assigned to?

No, since the powers came from a channel group and are only effective in the channel where the client has the channel group. Note though that he will have to have the powers in both his current channel and the channel where he wants to kick clients from.
    Also note that with kicking clients from a channel, they will need to have the power to move people into the default channel as a kick from channel is basically just a shortcut to moving a client to the default channel.

Fantastic. So in retrospect all I need to do is modify the channel permission b_channel_join_permanent on the default channel and that should resolve the issue for all groups in general. Awesome! I greatly appreciate your time in explaining this to me Chris. All I need to do now is setup the permissions for server and make periodic backups of the ts3server.sqlitedb file. That and wait until you guys start accepting NPL applications again. All of my questions regarding this particular topic are pretty much answered.

Thanks for everything Chris! I'm off to see if I can find anything about when the NPL applications will be accepted.

You can do the same if you need some management channel groups like "Operator" or "Channel Admin".
    Just give them the permissions you want, including join_power and assign it in the resp. main channel.
    i. e. give user A group "Operator" in WoW-Mainchannel and he can edit them, kick people etc. but not enter and manage LoL channels (unless granted the group there too).

Maybe our old -> permission overview can help you. Scroll a bit down to the channel groups used, starting with "Leader".
    "Leader" = "Top" Channelgroup, only for leaders of clans/guilds
    "Operator" = Defaul CA group, assigned to who creates the channel
    "Member" = used for channel access for normal users (see posts above)
    "Voice" = the normal voice group
    "Standard" = Default channelgroup, assigned if user has no other group
    "Banned" = used for channel bans

Thread Information