Forum

File Locations of TeamSpeak 3 Server on Mac OS X 10.6 Server

Hello,

As the title suggests, I am running a Mac OS X 10.6 Server and have TeamSpeak 3 Server installed as well.

Since the server is not doing all too well (I, as the server owner, lost permissions to modify rooms), I once tried to reinstall it, but it appeared that some data was retained messing things up. So, I restored from the zipped backup I created beforehand.

Therefore, I wonder where TeamSpeak 3 Server is actually storing its files. Does it use MySQL from Mac OS X 10.6 Server as well or does it stick to its own SQLite database in the TS3 server's directory?

If the latter and everything regarding the TS3 server is in the same directory, I would assume that the TS3 server would be completely reset when removing the directory and replacing it with a fresh copy.

Also, what I may need to ask in the same breath: Is it possible to set up a TS3 server on one computer, then shut it down and move the files (maybe even zipped) to the final computer or would that break something?

Anyone out there to confirm or able to provide me with file location information, please?

Also, if Mac OS X's MySQL is being used as well, what would I need to do to wipe it from TS3 data. Important to note is that I cannot reset the entire MySQL service as there are other services (e.g. wikis) using it. So, it needs to be more surgical.

Thanks already for all helpful responses!
    Last edited by Phx01; June 7th, 2014 at 07:34 PM.

You can always restore/replace your rights through query console.
    If you did not save the query console login, look over here.
    Yes, unless specifically set up, TS3 uses SQLite DB in it's own directory.
    Yes, you can just copy it, assuming there's no path issues with uploaded icons etc. (But these are minor issues, the server should just work after transfer.)
    I see not much reason to wipe out the server, except if it is what you ABSULUTELY want to do.

Thanks ANR Daemon,

As I had misplaced the serveradmin login credentials since I just tried once to use the query console, I was looking over the link you provided. However, the description was for Windows and Linux only and even though Mac OS X is quite close to UNIX/Linux in this behalf, instead of an sh script, which can be changed, I actually have a binary to run and the command-line options appear to not work properly (or I did something wrong... again).

All the other items are good information. Thanks a lot for that!

Even though I tend to agree to you in regards of the reinstallation, my unfamiliarity with the query console and the lack of time to get down to learn its commands led me to create a secondary installation of the TS3 server on a different computer and recreated all relevant settings. Next step would be to stop the cron/launchd job with the TS3 server and then replace the old installation with the new one.

Before I do that, however, one last question: Is there a good/easy (<-- meaning short) way to take over the users of the old TS3 server (e.g. copying in the database file or similar)? If not, I just let the users log in and place them into the respective groups again, I already created.

I don't have Mac OS handy ATM, can't give you specific instructions, sorry...

Thanks again ANR Daemon,

I tinkered around a bit more with the newly set up server and found that following the Windows instructions actually worked. Now, I was not creating a shortcut there, but used the command-line to supply exactly that command of the shortcut (customized for the Mac OS X binary), which did the trick.

The confusion was, however, that contrary to that instruction's video, there was no visual indicator that something had been done at all. It just looked as if I started my server just like that.

I am still not familiar with the usage of the query console (which should be the same across platforms), so I will go ahead then with the replacement after some more testing.

Thanks for all your help! It put me on the right track. I consider my issue resolved.

You can check server logs (the _0 log probably) for more information. I think it should indicate that the password has been changed.

Since it is already late here, just a quick response:

I have not looked into the log (yet), but as I stated in my previous post, even though it was not "publicly" displayed to the admin (in my case me), it actually did change the password. So, I do have access to the server query now.

Trying to work my way along the server query manual PDF, I was, however, still not successful adding those permissions again. Command response is always an error, even though I issued the command as stated in the manual. Not sure what I do wrong there.

Long story short, while potentially helpful, the server query's difficulty to learn outweighs its benefits. So, I will continue to replace my server with a fresh installation, which compared to getting around the server query is finished and just needs to copied to the right place.

Again: Thanks for all your help and quick responses!

It's not supposed to be displayed at all to any user, as it's a management interface and there may be more servers running than one. Not to mention that the query interface is not attached or related to any specific virtual server.
    Also I'd disagree on the potential of the query interface outweighing the gain. It's extremely powerful and thanks to "help" quite easy to get into, at the same time though you can easily do irreparable damage with it if used wrong.
    When sending PMs please make sure to include a reference link to the thread in question in the body of your message.

Chris,

I never doubted the potential of the server query. Again: I followed the manual, which accompanied the installation in PDF form and besides the actual IDs and the parameter/variable I wanted to adjust, I followed the exact example you gave in said manual by the book and it still threw up an error. I double and triple checked my spelling just in case I got something wrong there, but comparing this with the actual parameter (in the TeamSpeak client GUI), I did not see anything wrong there really.

I am sure that once one is familiar with the server query, its benefits will outweigh anything. However, as it is I have a ready-to-replace server (built up from scratch) compared to a still-not-properly-working older TeamSpeak Server installation. Speaking of the time I invested in both (server query in order to get a small thing corrected compared to installing & configuring a new server), installing a new server apparently was faster. So, in my situation the difficulty and/or stubbornness of the server query outweighed its benefits.

Thread Information