Forum

Notice to all users

We are migrating towards a new forum system located at community.teamspeak.com, as such this forum will become read-only on January 29, 2020

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Restoring Server

Hello,
    Due to circumstances out of our control we had to move hosts. Several days before (and yes i am newb to this) i checked upon what you need to do to back up an existing server, which boiled down to backup ts3server.sqlitedb which i did. On the new host i installed the TS3 server package and had the server up and running with the basic set up.
    Then came the point where i thought all i needed to do is shut the ts server down, swap the ts3server.sqlitedb file and i am good to go.
    Far from it though i eended up with erros along the line of :
    # 2014-06-09 11:14:40.007363|CRITICAL|VirtualSvrMgr | | Assertion "query.db_exec() == ERROR_ok" failed at server/serverlib/virtualserver_manager.cpp:865;
    basically it would not start again.
    So are there any specific steps needed to apply the information from your old file to the new one since outright replacing is not working? Simply put how do i restore the server from the file i have.

Any help is appreciated.

PS. Yes i searched forum and google in general for a solution but couldn't spot anything helpful. Sorry if there is something like that which i missed

If you have copied the DB when server was running, it may have been in an inconsistent state.
    Also make sure the permissions on the file is right.

Backing up only the database file destroys the file transfer system of TS3 entirely, including icons and avatars of course.

If he did not have custom icons/avatars, there's nothing to destroy, right?
    But in that case, error message would be different.

we were not hosting any files and the couple icons are easy replaced. so that bit should not be a problem.
    i thought the problem might be permissions for the sqlitedb file, so checked in WinSCP the permissions for current file was 0644.
    so did the following:
    stop server
    download and delete the database
    upload the backup one
    checked permissions: were alrdy on 0644
    deleted the file
    put back the database with which the server was running till 2 minutes ago
    start server fine
    connect to it and wham # 2014-06-09 13:30:19.979894|CRITICAL|DatabaseQuery | | Assertion "error == ERROR_ok" failed at server/serverlib/database/db_database.cpp:113;

and server down (yes permissions are still 0644 as they were at start and no i did not start server while the backup file was in there)
    On EDIT: like the first time, only work around seems to be fully deleting the sqlitedb file completely starting and letting it get recreated.

Quote Originally Posted by ANR Daemon View Post
    If he did not have custom icons/avatars, there's nothing to destroy, right?
    There is something to destroy: the future use. TS3 does not restore folders that have been deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by ANR Daemon View Post
    But in that case, error message would be different.
    I meant in general.

last time I checked, the server does recreate the files/ structure on startup if there are channels which don't have a corresponding folder.
    When sending PMs please make sure to include a reference link to the thread in question in the body of your message.

Okay, I didn't check it at startup but at runtime.

Thing is on the second experiment with server down, new install, incl new sqlitedb swapping the new file for the backup one to check permissions and back again without actually starting the server in between, should have resulted with the exact same situation as before me touching anything. But the error above hit anyway. i am wondering if the pure act of copying in a db file even with correct permissions messes something up which si preventing me from using the back up file or taking the original one of the new install otu and putting it back in.
    On a side note YaTQA is supposed to be able to create and deploy snapshots of the server, is that the same as backing it up and restoring it ?

Yes, but you will lose all avatars and files.
    Icons can be re-uploaded but must be re-assigned. Re-uploading icons can be done with

• YaTQA 2.0-pre and up by going to the icons tab and click "Show All". Then on the new server, click "Add" in that tab and choose "From Collection". For servers with a big number of icons, both steps might get you banned temporarily.
    • the TS3 client, but you need to find the server folder in %APPDATA%\TS3Client\cache and set the file filter to *.* in TS3. TS3 does not care that the icons in that folder have no extension.
    • the TS3 client by downloading the files\virtualserver_x\internal\icons folder from your VPS and uploading it (file filter must be removed here, too, as these icons have nother extension either).

Quote Originally Posted by numma_cway View Post
    set the file filter to *.* in TS3. TS3 does not care that the icons in that folder have no extension.
    You can set the filter to just "*" as that would include the same set of files and be more correct in such case.
    The "*.*" filter only works because the dot at the end of a file name without extension is assumed, rather than actually present.

I don't know what the problem is in your setup, but it is definitely possible to move the database from one machine to a different machine. I moved my TS3 server by setting up the second server as brand new working server. Then I stopped the TS3 server on both machines. Then I made a *.tar.gz from ts3server.sqlitedb and the files/ structure on the old server, moved that to the new server and extracted it into the designated TS3 server directory. Then chown to the new server user (it was different). File system permissions were already set, since they are preserved by using tar. Then I started the new server and it runs perfectly since then, which is about 1 or 2 years ago.

I remember that you chmod 644 your database. Did you also chown it to the user you are using to start the Teamspeak server?

Cheers Numma and ANR on the YaTAQ. just quick question , i did download files\virtualserver_x\internal\icons folder is it enough to move the content back into corresponding folder of new install? or do i have to re add them through the ts client?

@ Schlumpi ... i think you are onto something there, i freely stated my newbieness earlier :P
    no i did not do a chown. my guess if i copy the dp file onto my windows system and then re-upload it that destroys this information and as such i get hammered by errors even if i am putting the original db file from the install.
    i checked syntax and i would need to go chown ts3admin /home/ts3admin/teamspeak3-server/ts3server.sqlitedb , right? (ts3admin being the user i used to installs erver)
    also to be able to verify, how would i see the current owner of a file ?

On edit: ok using ls -l to see ownership of the files. the ts directory and files are all owned by ts3admin. but it looks like since i am logged into WinSCP with root account uploading a file makes it owned by root. i am guessing that would actually mess things up when the ts3admin owned files try to access it ? i am also further assuming logging into WinSCP with ts3admin account will result automatically in the uploaded file being ts3admin owned and such i would not need to use chown ?
    Last edited by Fortran; June 11th, 2014 at 12:27 PM. Reason: update

Regarding your edit: yes, every word you wrote is true.

Success!
    making sure sqlitedb was owned by ts3admin did the trick. channels and permission groups are restored. all icons are visible but that's because i also have them locally i guess. would i need to upload them to : \internal\icons ?

thanks a lot for the replies and extra special thanks to Schlumpi!

Thread Information